Sales Have Ended
ONLINE REGISTRATIONS ARE CLOSED. YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP AT THE PARK!
You can still join the 2nd Annual S.E.A. Blue Ribbon Walk for Prostate Cancer
Saturday, August 20, 2016
GENESEE VALLEY PARK (Riverbend Shelter)
08:30am - On-site Registration Opens ($30)
10:15am - Walk Begins
11:30am - Raffles & Prizes
- Registration at the event is $30. Free event T-shirt while they last!
- Last day for online registration is August 18 at 5pm.
- Donations will be accepted online at this website thru September 30.
This is a no-frills, family and pet-friendly event organized entirely by prostate cancer survivors and volunteers of "Us TOO Rochester". The purpose is to spread awareness about the disease, advance finances for local patient support and education, and give cancer survivors an opportunity to stroll with family, friends and neighbors while showing support for those living with this life-changing illness. Bring the kids and the grand-kids, and don't leave Fido home alone. The Rochester Red Wings mascot, and a photographers will be on site for selfies and family photos. The entire photo album will be made available online for 10 days following the event, and photos may be downloaded for printing at home, at no cost.
Bring the kids to meet "Spikes", mascot of Rochester Red Wings!
You are encouraged to read this full page of details before you register.
- Multiple branding options exist for co-sponsors. [ scroll down, or call (585) 787-4011 ]
- This is a two mile walk on trails of Genesee Valley Park.
- Proceeds benefit local prostate cancer patient education & support programs at Us TOO Rochester.
- Anyone can participate as an individual, or form a team.
- Individuals and teams may choose from multiple registration levels ranging from $20 to $100.
- Friends and family who want to sponsor a walker, but do not want to participate in the August 20 event, may enter any amount at the General Donation level or Team Member Sponsor level.
- The amount in parentheses is the amount being donated. A small processsing fee is added at checkout.
- Children age 13 and under are FREE but each child must be registered at the Child Ticket level. A parent or guardian must also complete a release form at Packet Pick-up for each child who will be walking with them.
- Sociable dogs are also FREE, but each dog must be registered at the Pup for Prostates Ticket level.
- T-Shirt size for PAID registrants must be indicated at Checkout no later than 5pm on July 15.
- Decide if you want to register as an 'Individual' or 'Start a Team' of your own.
- If you're starting a team, decide on a team name and optional password. (See NOTE).
- If you were invited to join an existing team, you will need the exact name of the team, including spaces, and the team password if there is one.
- When you're ready to register, click the GREEN "REGISTER" BUTTON at the top of this screen.
- Select "Individual" or "Team".
- If joining an existing team, begin typing the name of the team. Then, type the password if prompted for one. [for New Team, see 'Note' below.]
- At the ticket level screen, select a registration level. [Blue($20), Red($35), Silver($50), Gold($100) or General Donation ($Any), or Team Member Sponsor($Any)]
- Always enter '1' for 'Number of Tickets' [Even if the ticket level is FREE].
- Complete the Checkout process by following the prompts for contact info, credit card info, billing info, and registrant info.
- IMPORTANT: At Checkout select the MY T-shirt icon and indicate your preferred size. To purchase a T-Shirt as a gift or for a child, at Checkout select the Buy T-shirt icon.
- Upon completion, the system will send a confirmation to the email address you entered during the Checkout process.
- Print your ticket, and bring with you on Packet Pick-UP dates below.
NEW TEAMS NOTE: If starting a new team, click the Green Register Button and at the prompt select "Create Team". When prompted to enter an Email address, type your own email address and decide a new password for use with the Eventbrite system. The password can be any alphanumeric characters. This will be the Email address and PW you use to 'Sign In' at Eventbrite when managing your team's website page or when sending bulk email invitations to others you want to join your team.
- Individuals who register online by July 15 will receive a FREE event T-shirt at packet pick-up.
- Individuals may register at the Blue[$20], Red[$35], Silver[$50] or Gold[$100] level.
- Individual registrants who have friends or family who want to be a sponsor, but who do not want to do the walk, can enter the sponsor's name and donation amount at the General Donation level. Sponsors who donate $20 or more by July 15 may also receive a FREE event T-shirt (optional). They will enter their own T-shirt size at Checkout.
- Individual registrants who plan to walk are responsible to pick up his/her own registration packet on one of the two Packet Pick-up dates, or at the event [ID & signature required]. See Packet Pick-Up dates below.
- Registered individuals are not required to walk.
- Registrations may be upgraded, or refunded, but are not transferable. T-shirts are not refundable and cannot be exchanged.
- Teams are comprised of two or more persons. No limit.
- The first person to register on behalf of the team is the one who enters the agreed upon team name (+optional password) and shares the name/pw with other members.
- Once a team name has been registered, other team members may proceed to register at any time prior to August 18 at 5pm.
- Team members will be prompted to spell their team name, then select it from a drop-down list.
- Team members may register at the Blue[$20], Red[$35], Silver[$50] or Gold[$100] level.
- Friends or family who want to be a sponsor, but who do not want to do the walk, can register at the Team-Member-Sponsor level and enter any dollar amount. Sponsors who donate $20 or more by July 15 may also receive a FREE event T-shirt (optional).
- Team members are not required to walk.
- Each team member is responsible to pick up his/her own registration packet on one of the two Packet Pick-up dates below, or at the event. [ID & signature required]
TEAM BONUS: Teams that raise a total of $501 or more, on or before 6pm-JULY 18, may have their team name appear on the event T-shirt design. The team captain of qualifying teams must notify the event organizer no later than 5pm on July 18 to indicate the team name and the team's total amount raised. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DESIGN YOUR OWN WEBSITE PAGE
(Optional) With Eventbrite's intuitive template design, every participant has an opportunity to design their own website page for sending to family, friends and coworkers. In just minutes your page can provide compelling reasons why others should want to join your team or contribute to your Team Member Sponsorship donation. [For your web page, you may also simply copy/paste the sample text below:]
"I would like you to sponsor me or join my team, and to share my page with any of your friends and family that may be inspired to donate as well. I am taking part in this event because I know my donation will help 'Us TOO Rochester' continue to provide local men with the FREE unbiased information they need in order to make informed treatment decisions for their prostate cancer. Together, we can create greater awareness to the importance of early detection for prostate cancer while helping our community learn about this important men's health issue. Your donation is secured by Eventbrite, allocated directly to the Rochester chapter at Us TOO International, and Eventbrite will email you a printable record of your donation. Thank you! See you there!"
ABOUT PACKET PICK-UP
Packet PickUp days allow those who registered online no later than 6pm on August 8 to pick up their T-shirt, registration form and admission-wrist-bands in advance of event day. The packet will also contain a 'bib' upon which the participant may write the name of a person affected by prostate cancer whom they wish to acknowledge (living or deceased). Online registration and the packet pickup process will spare registrants from having to arrive early and stand in line on event day. Once they pick up their packet they can plan to arrive on event day early enough to get a parking space and walk to Riverbend shelter for Kickoff at 10am. Packet Pick-Up will be conducted in the piano room of Joey B's Restaurant, located inside St. John's at Brickstone, 1325 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester NY 14620 [between South Avenue and S. Clinton, adjacent to St. John's Meadows] on the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, August 10, 2016: 4pm-6:30pm
- Saturday, August 13, 2016: 10:30am-12:30pm
Please bring a photo ID and a printed copy of your registration receipt. Be prepared to read and sign the registration disclaimer form.
- Only those who complete registration no later than 6pm on August 8 may attend packet pickup days.
- Packets are requested to be picked up by the online registrant in person. Proxy's must bring a copy of the registrant's printed registration receipt that has been signed and dated by the registrant giving permission for the proxy to obtain their packet on their behalf.
- Registrants who cannot pick up their packet on either date should arrive to the August 20 event early in order to complete the registration process and get their admission-wrist-band. Onsite registration at the event begins at 8:30am.
ABOUT THE LEASH CONTEST & PUPS For PROSTATES
Because dogs have been dubbed 'Man's best friend' it seems appropriate that non-aggressive dogs-on-leash with responsible families be allowed to join us. However, every dog must be registered at the Pups for Prostates registration level [FREE] and possess a current shot record.
- Bring copy of current veterinary records with you to the PUPS REGISTRATION TABLE.
- There will be a prize for the 'LEASH' that best represents the "BLUE" theme [attached bows, ribbons, etc.].
- Water bowls, pick-up bags and drop-off stations will be provided.
- The dog's family will be solely accountable for 'clean-up' and pet's behavior.
- If your pet is considered aggressive or is having a bad-fur day, please leave him/her home.
- Due to the potential for a hot summer day, dog costumes are discouraged.
- Dog costumes and fur coloring will not be considered for prizes.
- All dogs must be on leash at all times.
We are grateful to representatives of Lollypop Farm who will decide the Pup and family holding the Winning Leash.
ABOUT T-SHIRTS & GIFT REGISTRATIONS
Event T-shirts are provided free to those with a PAID registration who register online before July 15, and to those who sponsor an individual or team participant at $20 or more, also by July 15. To ensure correct size, registrants must select the MY T-Shirt icon at Checkout.
Ticket registrations and event T-shirts also make a perfect GIFT! Advance registration tickets may be purchased as a gift at any level. T-shirts as gifts or for children ages 13 and under, may be purchased with any paid registration by selecting the "Buy T-shirt" icon at Checkout. T-shirts are $10 per shirt plus tax/shipping/handling (total cost $12.40 ea, any size, including children sizes). T-Shirts will not be available for purchase at the August 20 event. All T-shirt sizes must be entered at checkout no later than 5pm on July 15.
PROCEEDS BENEFIT LOCAL PATIENT EDUCATION & SUPPORT
Proceeds benefit patient education and support for those affected by prostate cancer right here in Rochester and the Finger Lakes region. Us TOO Rochester is the local chapter of Us TOO International, a 501c3 nonprofit organization providing patient support and education while advancing awareness about the importance of early detection [EIN# 36-3723349]. Prostate cancer information will be readily available at this event.
SPONSOR BRANDING OPTIONS
Event sponsors and co-sponsors can select from multiple opportunities to show employee families and Rochester area communities that they care about those affected by prostate cancer. Any person or organization may become an event sponsor or co-sponsor and have their name or logo included at this website and/or appear on additional collateral. For more information, send your request to the event organizer, at: email@example.com
We thank and appreciate our event Title Sponsor:
... and the following event co-sponsors:
VOLUNTEEERS ARE NEEDED
- Greeters 
- Set-up crew 
- Registration attendants 
- Parking lot attendants 
- Course marshalls 
If you or your group would like to volunteer, contact the Volunteer Coordinator (Larry) by Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Thank you Larry!)
WHERE YOUR MONEY GOES
There are NO PAID STAFF at Us TOO Rochester. Click here to review the patient education program at Us TOO Rochester.
Unlike events that raise funds for research in other cities, event proceeds from the S.E.A. Blue Ribbon Walk 2016 helps provide patient support, education and advocacy for Rochester area men no matter where they receive care for their cancer. Seventy-five cents of every dollar stays in Rochester to support the local prostate cancer educational program at Us TOO Rochester. Twenty-five cents of every dollar ensures that printed and electronic materials continue to reflect current treatment trends and are provided to patients and medical providers across the region at no cost.
- $1 will print eleven fliers about the next patient education and support meeting.
- $10 could provide two men with unbiased information about all available treatment options.
- $50 could help provide a co-pay for one office visit to someone in need.
- $95 could help pay for one PSA screening test for someone without medical coverage.
OTHER WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION
- Encourage your employer to sponsor the walk or to match donations made by employees.
- Make checks or money orders payable to: "SEA Blue Rochester 2016"
- Send to: Patrick Fisher Chapter Leader, Us TOO Rochester, 102 Creek Hill Lane, Rochester NY 14625. Donations are tax-deductable to the extent of the law. [EIN #36-3723349]
SEPTEMBER IS NATIONAL PROSTATE CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
Cancer remains the leading cause of death in Monroe County and prostate cancer is the leading cancer in men. Thousands of men in Rochester are affected. Many had advanced disease at their initial diagnosisis. A cure is possible, but only if detected early. There are typically no symptoms for early stage disease. Those at greater risk may include Caucasian men over age 50, African American men over age 40, men with a family history of the disease and military men exposed to Agent Orange. Men taking testosterone supplements without a doctors supervision, and transgender women in those categories who have a prostate, may also be at risk. Anyone concerned about prostate cancer should talk with their doctor or see an urologist.
- Prostate cancer is highly curable, but ONLY if detected early.
- Thousands of men in Rochester and the Finger Lakes region are living with prostate cancer.
- Many were presented with advanced disease at their initial diagnosis.
- Some were diagnosed at younger ages than ever before.
ABOUT THE TITLE:
The letters "S, E and A" stand for "support, education and awareness", the mission of our patient-centered program at Us TOO Rochester. Blue is to prostate cancer as pink is to breast cancer. For this reason, we want a SEA-of-Blue at the 2nd Annual S.E.A. Blue Ribbon Walk. Participants will be welcomed with blue balloons, blue bracelets, and blue ribbons. Blue face-masks and blue surgical gloves will also be available for those who wish to show even stronger support. Don't forget "Pups for Prostates": Man’s best friends are invited too, with a prize for the LEASH that best conveys the 'blue' theme.
ABOUT THE TRAIL:
The two mile trail is relatively level, easy to navigate and provides intermittent shade. Participants using wheelchairs or walkers should be accompanied by a responsible friend to assist as needed. [Fees for the friend will be waived.] Accessible public restrooms are available along the walk.
WHERE TO PARK:
Parking for this event is made available in the University of Rochester Medical Center employee parking lot on Intercampus Drive.
- From Elmwood Avenue, turn onto Wilson Boulevard toward the UR campus.
- Turn right, onto Trustee Road, just before the information booth.
- Go to the end and turn right again onto Intercampus Drive.
- Proceed across the overpass into the larger parking lot on your right.
- Lock your vehicle and proceed to the walkway leading to the adjacent park.
- Cross Moore Road and follow the walkway to Riverside Shelter.
- Accessible public restrooms are along the trail.
FROM THE CHAPTER LEADER
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the sponsors, participants, volunteers, spokespersons and this year's planning committee who helped make this event possible. On behalf of all those at Us TOO Rochester, we offer our sincere appreciation to the subject matter experts from multiple care centers across the region who so willingly donate their time throughout the year to facilitate our patient education program for survivors of prostate cancer. Thank you, one and all. - Patrick Fisher, Chapter Leader
Is this a 'carry in' and 'carry out' park?
Yes. There will be trash bags located at the shelter and adjacent to the rest rooms along the trail. Empty plastic water bottles will be recycled.
Are public restrooms available and accessible?
Are there age limits to enter the event?
Men and women of all ages are encouraged to participate. Children and grandchildren are welcome too! Children age 13 and under are free but must be accompanied by an adult with a paid registration.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Parking for this event is available in the University of Rochester Medical Center employee parking lot on Intercampus Drive. From Elmwood Avenue, turn onto Wilson Boulevard toward the UR campus. Then, turn right onto Trustee Road just before the information booth. Go to the end and turn right again onto Intercampus Drive. Proceed across the overpass into the larger parking lot on your right. The park is adjacent to this lot. Lock your vehicle and follow the paved path toward the park. Cross Moore Road and follow the park walkway to Riverside Shelter.
What can/can't I bring to the event?
Dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes. Bottles of water will be provided along the route, but you are welcome to bring your own water bottle. Wrapped cereal bars & coffe/tea will also be available. Water bowls will be provided for the dogs, and pet families will be responsible for cleaning up after their own pet. Doggie bags and 'deposit stations' will be located along the trail.
NOTE: No roller blades, bicycles, iPods, or music players of any kind are allowed. Walking strollers for small children may be used but no 'running strollers'.
Will first-aid be available?
Yes. A regional ambulance service will be on site to provide first aid or transportation to the nearest emergency room.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Send Email with your question to the event sponsor at: email@example.com or call Patrick at (585) 787-4011
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Registration fees may be upgraded but are not transferrable. No exceptions.
Can I update my registration information?
You may update your registration information anytime before online registration closes at 5pm on August 18, 2016.
What is the refund policy?
Event T-shirts are FREE to adult participants with a paid registration but must be purchased for children age 13 and under. T-shirt size must be indicated at the time of checkout for a paid registration, and no later than 5pm on July 15. No T-shirt exchanges or refunds are allowed. No exceptions.