Right 2 Root Campaign of the Community RE/Construction 3.0 Initiative
FROM NORTH 2 THE NUMBERS: BECOME THE SOLUTION 2 GENTRIFICATION
Have you been displaced from N/NE PDX?
Are you at risk of being displaced from N/NE PDX?
COME work with us to co-create a Community Development Project to reverse the impacts of urban redevelopment/ gentrification/ displacement on the ❤️ of the BLACK COMMUNITY and to build RESILIENCE!!
Through 2016, #Right2Root will bring community members back together in a series of community meetings, with the generous technical support of ZGF Architects, to help us to continue a Community Master Plan - made with, for and by us - to address the needs of Portland’s Black communities.
In addition to learning more about the Right 2 Root Campaign, these workshops (Oct. 15; Nov. 12; and Dec. 17) will share tools to help our community to become community-builders, planners, leaders and decision makers.
- Food & Childcare (free) provided.
- Accessible venue.
- Parking in the SEI Center lot and on the street.
#Right2Root Campaign of the Community RE/Construction 3.0 Initiative...
Inclusive, grassroots, community - funded & led neighborhood-scale development action plan believes:
- Community begins with the People in it.
- The environment or Place - natural and built - can help or hinder our ability to live, survive and thrive.
- Our most sustainable and impactful interventions should be made with, for, and by those most affected, while also highlighting the role and necessity of champions, allies, advocates and experts working alongside us to make plans manifest.
- Places - our built environment - can be remade to center the most vulnerable community members to improve health, wealth, quality of life and community prosperity for all.
- To thrive, People need a nurturing, healthy, opportunity-rich environment. The healthy choice must be the easy choice.
- When assessing, diagnosing and prioritizing a community’s most acute issues, look to root causes to inform a “treatment” plan.
- Make, test and replicate the MOST innovative, upstream solutions to have the biggest impact in the lives of marginalized, vulnerable people.
- Know that creating a safety net for all makes our whole society stronger and more competitive!
With the pro-bono incubation support of ZGF Architects and the Institute for Sustainable Economic, Educational and Environmental Design (I-SEEED), the Right 2 Root Campaign of the Community RE/Construction 3.0 Initiative takes queues from local, national and international solutions to generate:
- Multigenerational inclusion,
- Healthy, thriving, sustainable communities, and –
- Positive outcomes for underserved people.
Reduce Health/ Weath disparities, increase opportunities and generate prosperity for Portland’s African American/ Black residents by creating a People + Place community stabilization program using the EcoDistricts Framework.
R2R Major Goals…
Achieve economic parity for Portland’s African American/ Black communities;
Improve health, wellbeing and resilience;
Increase access to affordable housing and business development opportunities;
Ensure that community development is directed by those it most impacts.
R2R Aims to…
Identify and lift-up underutilized community assets;
Prioritize community redevelopment and resource allocation through an Equity Lens;
Build a holistic infrastructure to maximize Health, Innovation and Maker opportunities for the most vulnerable;
Begin to heal the physical, psychological, social, economic, cultural and environmental affects of rootshock* caused by ongoing forced displacement of African American/ Black residents from the Portland Metro Area.
- Collaborates between Portland’s residents who are most vulnerable to destabilization by displacement and the resources and support of architects, advocates, champions, and allies;
- Centers the needs of the most impacted, and highlight the connection of people to place within the EcoDistrict Protocol;
- Provides a space for persons displaced by gentrification to innovate and make an urban renewal Master Plan that improves health and wellbeing and feelings of reconnection, and serves our community's needs;
- Leverages resources and relationships necessary for community generated plans to become a reality;
-Establishes innovative community-owned and led plans, infrastructure, and development to ensure economic security for African American/ Black communities in Oregon’s economic boon;
- Provides the tools necessary for African American/ Black residents to become our own advocates, community builders, planners, leaders and decision makers.
JOIN US: SAVE-THE-DATES!!
PHASE II - 2016 UPCOMING DATES
- Sat. October 15, 2016 - Roll Out
- Sat. November 12, 2016 - Asset Mapping
- Sat. December 17, 2016 - Planning --> Action
* Fullilove: "People who have been displaced experience "root shock." Root shock is the traumatic stress reaction to the loss of some or all of one's emotional ecosystem. Root shock can follow natural disaster, development-induced displacement, war, and changes that play out slowly such as those that accompany gentrification.
**Preference for Participation - DISPLACED PERSONS from N/NE Portland