Our next reservation-based events will be in April 2016 and September 2016.
Check later on our website calender or facebook to find the next dates (as of 9/2015 these are TBD).
Railroad Centennial Open House: Take a train ride on the Swanton Pacific Railroad with 100-year old steam locomotives from the Overfair Railway that ran along San Francisco's Marina during the 1915 San Francisco Panama-Pacific International Exposition (PPIE). The railroad is located about 15 miles north of Santa Cruz and 35 miles south of Half Moon Bay. Tour the railroad roundhouse and workshops. Learn about the locomotive's history. Talk with railroad volunteers about becoming an active member of the Swanton Pacific Railroad Society.
Railroad Hours 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
- Tour the railroad roundhouse and workshops.
- Bring your own picnic (no alcohol) and have lunch at our tables or lawn (please take your trash home with you).
- Swanton Pacific Railroad store open for cold drinks, t-shirts, railroad hats (cash or check only).
- Learn about participating at the railroad.
- Steam Up at 8:00 AM - watch the steam locomotive get ready to run for the day.
- Half-hour steam train rides throughout the day (crew will break for lunch around noon).
- Swanton Pacific Railroad is 15 miles north of Santa Cruz and 35 miles south of Half Moon Bay. From Hwy 1, take the nearest Swanton Road entrance. Swanton Pacific Railroad is 2.8 miles from the south entrance, 4.1 miles from the north entrance, and between Big Creek Fire Station and a meadow. The round house is visible from the road.
What to Wear
- Bring layers of clothing, mornings can be cool but the afternoons can be quite hot.
- Wear shoes that work on uneven terrain and lawns.
- Period clothing from 1915 is encouraged, since it is our centennial after all!
- No alcoholic beverages permitted
- No pets
- Reservations required!
When & Where
Swanton Pacific Railroad Society
Swanton Pacific Railroad is a 1/3 scale railroad nestled in a scenic valley of the Santa Cruz Mountains in Davenport, California. The railroad is staffed by volunteers who restore and maintain the railroad equipment and perform railroad operations such as brakeman, conductor, fireman, engineer, and track maintenance. The railroad is located on Swanton Pacific Ranch, Davenport (near Santa Cruz) which was donated in 1993 to Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, by Al Smith, second president of Orchard Supply Hardware.