Richmond Grows Seed Saving Class - Beginner
Monday, August 30, 2010 from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM (PDT)
Join us Monday, August 30th from 6-7:30 pm at the Community Room at the main branch of the library for an evening of seed saving basics, including some hands-on practice. No previous seed saving experience needed. Learn some basic vocabulary of seed saving and how to save the following families:
* Sunflower Family: artichoke, cardoon, endive, lettuce, salsify, shungiku, sunflower.
* Pea Family: bean, lentil, pea, soybean
* Nightshade Family: cape gooseberry, eggplant, ground cherry, pepper, potato, tomatillo, tomato.
* Parsley Family: carrot, celery, caraway, chervil, cilantro (coriander), dill, fennel, parsley, parsnip.
* Amaranth Family: amaranth, beet, chard, lamb’s quarters, orach, quinoa, spinach.
* Onion Family: chives, garlic, leeks, onions.
You'll learn how to save seeds so you can return the seeds you "borrowed." You're participating will help us in creating a sustainable seed library.