San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Announcing: Random Hacks of Kindness December Global Hackathon for Good.
HOSTED: Alice Deal Middle School, Washington, DC.
Date: Dec 7th (9 AM -6 PM) 8th (9AM-6 PM)
RHoKDC focus for this Hackathon is on Community, Data and Solutions.
- The Alice Deal Middle School App is a challenge presented by the our host's students.
- DC Director of the Budget will be making available DC's Budget Data for the Budget minded hackers.
- HelpEarth Foundation will be challenging hackers to work on a local SMEM (Social Media Emergency Management )
- Water for People are bring an interesting challenage, details on pirate pad.
- NATFAN.com will be challenging RHoK to come up with the best fan experience for Washington Nationals Fans
- Let us know about your challenges or Ideas. To get a sense of what RHoK has coved please visit RHoK.org
What to Expect
Saturday 9 am -- We'll be meeting first thing Saturday morning to introduce eveyone to RHoK the Challenge presenters and some special guest that we have coming to this hackathon. The RHok will proceed thourght the day with food and snacks being served with rapup for the night coming around 6.
Sunday 9 am ish... We'll meet again at the school and compence day two of RHoK with the end of it coming at 430ish and a Judging of the Hacks at 5 pm and then rap it up.
What to Bring.
Computers, powerstips your own extension cord and if possible a HOT Spot. We'd love it if people also brought your own coffee cup.
The Back Story
Random Hacks of Kindness is a joint effort founded by Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, NASA and The World Bank, dedicated to bringing software developers together to respond to challenges facing humanity in the area of natural disaster risk. We start with problem definitions created through consultations with NGOs, governments and experts in the field from around the world, then we invite hackers to a come together to organize and go to work putting their skills to use to solve those problems with software solutions that make a difference on the ground. At a RHoK hackathon, new technologies are born, existing platforms are built upon, and innovative new ideas attract attention and support. At the close of the hackathon, teams present the technologies they have developed and prizes are awarded.
Sliver Sponors GITHUB & NCLUD,
Bronze Sponors Altavoz & LivityFoods
Thanks to our sponsors for helping us make this RHoK happen....
PS we've haven't made the names visable because we've working with DC Middle Schoolers and felt privacy for them was more important than letting everyone know the amazing people coming.