Resilience in Young People: What’s the big deal?
Isn't resilience something that just happens? Yes and no. Everyone does face adversity while growing up and develop a degree of resilience in the process. However, some young people bounce back faster and further than others.
What’s the key to this? The presentation will discuss the principals behind resilience in young people and how individuals, groups, and organisations are best equipped to ensure young people flourish in life.
Drawing from research in the areas of Positive Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Public Health, and Neuropsychology, topics covered will include:
- the rise of resilience
- adolescence as a developmental period
- high prevalence psychological disorders originating in childhood
- the importance of character strengths
- the principals behind resilience
- practical strategies to equip young people with the skill set needed to flourish in life
Featuring Dr Anthony Venning, Flinders University
Dr Venning is a registered Clinical Psychologist, lecturer in the Discipline of Psychiatry at Flinders University, visiting Research Fellow at the University of Adelaide, an Officer and Psychologist with the Australian Defence Force, Director of Venning Consulting and internationally published author in the area of adolescent mental health.