San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Workshop for Under-18's or those in full time education
Title of workshop:
Remote Access To Your Raspberry Pi: Creating a Home Media Server
Matt Oates, Adam Sardar, Ben Smithers (University of Bristol)
Intermediate or an Advanced user with no experience of the UNIX command line.
Smart TVs, smart phones, tablets and laptops are capable of playing back rich multi-media served from a home network. This has reduced the need for a set-top box or separate computer for playing back music and video at home. However there is still a need for a device that can serve multi-media from a central store on your network to all of your playback devices.
The workshop will show you how to transform your Raspberry Pi into a remote network computer capable of serving multi-media files stored on a USB stick to the rest of your home devices. This will allow you to watch and listen to the same files everywhere, without the need for your laptop or desktop to be present or switched on. The Raspberry Pi as a dedicated file storage solution will save you money on your power bill.
Instruction will be provided and help as needed but all of the equipment you bring will still be your responsibility and we will not be liable for any damage that could result from this event.
If you are using a Windows laptop we will ask you to install some software to be able to talk remotely to your Raspberry Pi over the network.
You will require:
- A Raspberry Pi with an SD card running Raspbian “wheezy” Linux, downloaded and installed more recently than 2013-02-09: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
- A power supply for the Raspberry Pi
- A USB memory stick
- Laptop with charger, and capable of using a WIFI network
You may also want to prepare:
- If you will be bringing a Windows laptop to the event the following software will be needed (a copy will be made available on the day):
- o PuTTY - http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty-0.62-installer.exe
- o WinSCP - http://winscp.net/download/winscp514setup.exe
- Some multimedia files you wish to share with people at the event
Provided by us:
- Instructions and support
- Cabled and WIFI networking
Pre-Booking is required
When & Where
The Bristol Branch of the BCS Chartered Institute for IT