RemakeCamp is an unconference about online media organized by mediaRemake.com. We welcome editors, journalists, engineers, designers and managers of online media as well as service providers for them.
Topics we cover:
- Content creation. Crowdsourcing, citizen journalism, freelance journalism, content farming, user contributed content, expert contributed content, collaborative publishing, the future of investigative journalism.
- The role of editor. Curation, link journalism, news filtering, tastemaking and trendsetting, social news filtering, freelance and crowdsouring management, reputation systems for contributors, community management.
- Tools. Apps and plugins for publishers, tools for reporters and writers, analytics for online media.
- User experience. Optimizing content consumption for mobile devices, personalized news, attention profiles, reader interfaces, interactive articles, data visualization, social media integration.
- Business. Monetization models, attracting traffic, partner programs, content exchange, creating job boards and marketplaces, paid content and paywalls.
Preliminary list of speakers (check out the current schedule)
- David Weekly (PBWorks)
- Lila LaHood (SF Public Press)
- Alexey Maykov (Facebook)
- Jonathan Tepper (Demotix)
- Andrew Fitzgerald (Current TV)
- Zach Kass (ClowdFlower)
- Jason Shen (Stanford Daily)
- Michele Gates (SFGate.com / Examiner.com)
- Tom Murphy (Newswire21.org)
- Todd Beaupre (Yahoo!)
- Christopher Barr (Yahoo!)
- Kirill Soshalsky (TwitterTim.es) // skype-in talk
- Mark Albertson (Tech Closeup TV / Examiner.com)
- Erik Sundelof (Spot.Us)
- Anu (Anirag) Nigam (Buzzbox.com)
- Mia Lobel (B-Side Radio, Freelance Cafe) // skyp-in talk
- Andrew Stelzer (National Radio Project)
- Mark Burdett (Indybay.org)
- Xavier Damman (Publitweet)
- Anna Hennings (Bitchbuzz.com)
- Josh Sprague (Mediactive.com)
- Paul Biggar (NewsLabs/NewsTilt) // skype-in talk
- Matt Baume (SF Appeal, Stop8.org)
- Chia Hwu (TheSubtleInfluence.com)
- Scott Rosenberg (MediaBugs.org)
- Victor Grishchenko (TU Delft)
- Yury Lifshits (Yahoo!)
- Your name here :)
We organize RemakeCamp to achieve several goals: (1) give everyone a good overview of what's going on in the space of online media and evolution of journalism; (2) extract and share the knowledge, learned lessons, best practices and open challenges from people's heads; (3) connect tech, editorial, and journalism communities.
We are looking for speakers (5, 10 or 20 minutes talks). Distant speakers (skype video call) are also accepted. Email Yury ( email@example.com ) if you want to present.
During RemakeCamp we organize collaborative publishing experiment. Using tools like Etherpad, PBWorks and Google Wave we will create in real time a document representing our knowledge, future forecast and important challanges of media innovation.
- 1pm-2pm - Talks
- 2pm-3pm - "Brain Dump" panel discussion
- 3pm-4pm - Networking
- 4pm-6pm - Talks
Also, you can join our Facebook event page and invite your friends.
Our wiki-site with all logistics: http://remakecamp.pbworks.com
When & Where
mediaRemake.com is the knowledge base for media innovation. We curate the lists of influential people, inspiring online media, relevant bloggers, must read articles and more.