Reboot Workshop April 2012
Saturday, April 28, 2012 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (EDT)
New York, NY
UPDATE ON RAFFLE PRIZES
Buying a ticket to Reboot Workshop automatically enters you into a raffle for:
- Copy of Salary Tutor book
- Copy of Work Revolution book
- Day pass at New Work City
- $50 class credit at Skillshare
- Are you working in a full-time job you hate?
- Do you have a great business idea inside that you’ve been dying to test?
- Already a freelancer but having difficulty balancing your workload?
- Trying to find that key designer or developer to bring your idea to life?
- Are you ready to start an independent business?
Don’t wait… reboot your life in 2012.
Workshop? Unconference? How does it work?
Based on a hybrid model of efficient learning methods from other successful conferences, our goal for Reboot Workshop is to have a fun, engaging unconference, hackathon style event.
- Subject matter experts: We’ve gathered 10 experts that have “walked the walk” as freelancers and entrepreneurs in their chosen profession: Personal Branding, Design, Technology, Health/Wellness, Accounting, and more.
- Unique, focused presentations: “Death by Powerpoint?” Not here. Our experts will start the day by introducing themselves with an Ignite-style presentation format, using just 20 slides that auto-advance every 15 seconds for a total of just 5 minutes each to give you an overview of each topic.
- Morning group session: Attendees break off into the subject matter group that interests them most – and are encouraged to freely move between groups. Need to focus on branding, marketing, and selling your idea? Spend 30 minutes in each session. Want to know everything about taxes? Focus your attention in this one area.
- Networking lunch: Good ideas can’t flourish on an empty stomach. Grab lunch and strike up a conversation with others in your field, or in an area you need to know more about.
- Reboot afternoon group session: All successful startups need to iterate quickly and pivot when needed, and this is no different. We’ll unearth the hot-button topics and burning questions from the morning session, and customize the afternoon topics to give you the most bang for your buck.
- Wrapping it up: Did we mention the prizes? After some closing remarks, we’ll give away products you’ll actually use to get your new plan off the ground such as free coaching sessions and access to expert advice.
When & Where
On a crisp fall day in November 2011, Nate Cooper and Jim Hopkinson met for coffee near Bryant Park to talk about workplace trends that were affecting us all:
- 70% of people hated their full time jobs
- 84% of people planned on leaving their job within the year
- 54% of people had passion projects that they wanted to pursue
New media tools such as WordPress, YouTube, Twitter, self-publishing, and online learning had made it easier than ever to pursue a passion project, yet they wondered…
Why do so many people let fear and uncertainty prevent them from pursuing their goals?
Nate had recently “jumped ship” from an educational coordinator role at Apple, while Jim had just been laid off as a marketing director from Wired.com. Both were thrilled at the prospect of building their own business and thought, “If we’re going to be building our own business, why don’t we take others along for the ride?”
Two months later, the first Reboot Workshop conference was held, drawing a sell-out crowd of 100 energized individuals looking to “Live Outside the 9 to 5.”