Actions and Detail Panel
Real World Learning for the 21st Century: STC's 12th Annual National Forum
Wed, May 10, 2017, 1:00 PM – Thu, May 11, 2017, 6:00 PM EDT
The STC Forum is an annual, public conference. Hosted by a different STC city each year, the Forum focuses on a timely and relevant theme. Hosted by STC Pittsburgh, the 2017 Forum will focus on Real-World Learning for the 21st Century.
In a recent survey, 4 of 5 high school dropouts said they might have stayed in school if there were “more opportunity for real-world learning and… experiential learning.” By providing students with exposure to different opportunities and experiences that enable them to develop their passions, and by helping them develop a diverse set of relevant skills and apply them in the real world, we can ensure that students are invested in their education now and are empowered to successfully choose and pursue a fulfilling postsecondary pathway.
Click here for the latest agenda. Forum highlights include:
- Study Tours to schools and afterschool programs across Pittsburgh. Go to bit.ly/RWLStudyTours for descriptions.
- Defining and Supporting Real-World Learning
- Ensuring Access and Opportunity: Culturally Relevant Real-World Learning
- Real-World Learning at the K-8 level
- The Intersection of Education and Workforce Development, with a presentation from Michael Petrilli of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute
- Cultivating Curiosity with Self-Organized Learning Environments
- Defining Success for Students and Schools
- Stanley Litow, Vice President of Corporate Citizenship and Corporate Affairs at IBM and the visionary behind the P-TECH model, will deliver a keynote on May 11 focused on "Closing the Opportunity and Skills Gap with New Collar Jobs"
On Thursday, we will also host the Leaders That Can & RFK Urban Education Awards Luncheon, where we'll honor PNC chairman and CEO William Demchak and Tony Award winner Billy Porter, and will have a special welcome from County Executive Rich Fitzgerald.
Don't miss this exciting opportunity to hear from thought leaders and to experience innovation!
Click here for information on hotels and accommodations.