Raspberry Pi 101
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Ever wanted to automate a task? Water your plants on a schedule? Monitor your house tempature? Build a cat feeder or a low cost home media center? If so, the Raspberry Pi might be just right for you!
This class includes a Raspberry Pi, Wifi, Power, Cables, LEDs, SD Card, and sensors+analog input! This is everything you need to get up to speed on how the Pi does IO, and what you need to do get it installed. Don't know what a Raspberry Pi is? Check out this article from the NYTimes. The ticket includes $120 worth of hardware for you and the class tutorials.
You must be present to pickup your Raspberry Pi kit. Refunds must be requested 48 hours before class begins.
- June 13th, 6pm-10pm
- Laptop computer
- 4 Gigs of free hardrive space
Class Kit Includes:
- Adafruit Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
- Raspberry Pi w/512MB of RAM
- 4GB SD Card
- Power Supply + USB
- USB WiFi Card
- 1 1-Wire tempature sensor
- 1 TMP36 Analog tempature sensor
- MCP3008, 8 Analog to digital inputs
- GPIO breakout board, bread board and jumpers.
- Misc LED, buttons, resistors, etc for the lessons.
This will be a four hour class for one day events, or split out over two, two hour nights. A laptop computer with at least 4 Gigs of space for the SD card image will be required.
Day 1) Bootstrapping your Raspberry PI (~2 hours)
- Install Linux on your SD Card
- Start the Pi: Boot and config process
- Setup the WiFi device
- How to run programs on your Pi & basic Linux intro
Day 2) Doing fun things, like Python and GPIO programing (~2 hours)
- Python Basics, and functions.
- Blink an LED
- Get switch input
- Use a photo-resistor to read light levels
- Read data from a temperature sensor
- Read analog inputs
You must be present to pickup your Raspberry Pi kit.