What is Rails Bridge?
A free 1.5-day Ruby on Rails workshop for women and their friends.
When and Where?
Friday Oct 4th (7PM - 10PM) and Sat Oct 5th (9AM - 5PM)
at the Microsoft NERD Center in Cambridge, MA.
What will I learn?
By the end of the workshop, you'll have gone through the steps to create a basic Rails application. The workshop includes:
- The basic tools a Rails developer uses (source control, editor, console, local server)
- How to install those tools
- Basic Ruby syntax
- How to try your Ruby code (irb)
- How to create a basic Rails application
- How to make a Rails application available online at Heroku
The workshop will teach you the foundations of Ruby/Rails and equip you with the tools you need to continue learning.
Do I have to attend both days?
Yes. Friday night will be the Installfest, where we'll install all of the software you need and meet one another. Saturday will be spent learning and writing code. Attendance at the Installfest is mandatory if you want to participate Saturday.
Total programming novices, web designers, system administrators, and developers of other languages are welcome to attend.
This workshop is intended to reach out to women who are new to Ruby and Rails, but men are welcome to attend if they attend as a guest of a woman registered for the event.
What if I already know how to program?
The workshop is a mix of lectures and hands-on exercises done at your own pace. There are extra credit questions, and we accommodate tricky questions as much as we can during lab times. Some experienced people enjoy it as a directed study, others find it frustrating. The curriculum can be previewed here. If it's too basic for your needs, we recommend working through a tutorial and attending a Boston Ruby Project Night for setup help and questions.
What should I bring?
- Your laptop. If it's a borrowed or work laptop, make sure you're able to install software on it.
- Power cord for your laptop.
- If you already have accounts on Heroku or GitHub, make sure you know your username and password.
When & Where
RailsBridge Boston organizes free 1.5-day guided workshops introducing programming in Ruby and Ruby on Rails. Read our workshop recaps to see what our workshops are like.