Come ride our vintage passenger and freight trains on the former Illinois Central and Illinois Terminal trackage.
- Ride freight and passenger trains from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. One of the trains will feature the Museum's restored steam locomotive 401.
- Use the Caboose Hop between the Nelson Crossing depot and the yard to visit the shops and view additional exhibits.
- Ride a motorcar to White Heath; experience the rails just like maintenance workers of the past.
- Expanded children's area, including Hodge Pedal Car rides.
- The Museum's gift shop is open throughout the event for all your souvenir needs. Our concession area serves hot dogs, hamburgers, Polish sausage, chips, cold drinks and more.
Gates open at 9 a.m. each day. Trains run continuously from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Last train departures are around 4 p.m. each day.
ALL-DAY TICKETS – Ride as many times as you want! Children under 2 ride FREE with paying adult or senior.
You must have a ticket to access the grounds. This event takes place rain or shine. All ticket sales are final.
Online ticket sales end 2 hours before event; after that time, purchase tickets at the gate.
Save This Event
When & Where
Monticello Railway Museum
The Monticello Railway Museum is an all-volunteer organization in central Illinois with a 7½ mile long operating railroad line, and a railroad yard open to the public.
We offer train rides on weekends from May through October (rain or shine), and we offer a number of special events throughout the year.
We also collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit materials and artifacts from throughout the fascinating history of trains and railroading. Come explore our many rail cars and other equipment, and view our museum displays.