Radical Self-Care for Social Justice Community Organizers
For social justice community organizers, protesters, and activists:
This self-care skills-sharing workshop is an opportunity to join together to share, connect and empower.
(Please note - I request that folks who want to attend do pre-register at this Eventbrite sight to reserve your spot. Seating is limited and the last one sold out.)
It is an opportunity for members of these communities to join together to create a safe and open space:
- to share their personal reactions to the current political climate and anticipation of the next four years
- to speak to how the current social and political climate has impacted their views and energy around their political work
- to understand the psycho-physical impacts of stress, trauma, PTSD, and oppression on our bodies, minds & emotions and how to address it.
-to learn concrete and free self-care tips and strategies
- to offer and receive support and share resources
This is an intentional safe space for all people who share a social consciousness of equality and justice. People who can join in this intention are welcome to attend.
Participants will explore:
- what self-care means to you
- challenges with maintaining self-care, especially while being involved in social action and organizing
- how your political work is impacting your relationships with family and friends and other areas of your life
- why self-care is a radical and political act
- the concept of oppression fatigue and the ways it impacts us personally and in the work that we do
- the relationship between privilege, oppression fatigue and burn-out
- how accumulative trauma and fear impacts our emotional, physical and inter-personal health and well-being
- information about how stress impacts our bodies and ways to manage it more effectively
- strategies to increase our emotional and physical balance when we are feeling afraid, anxious or overwhelmed
Participants will have the option to:
- share ideas and tips for improving and sustaining the multi-levels of self-care, even while doing the often exhausting and intense work of community organizing and coalition-building
- develop "My Personal Self-Care Plan for the Socially Conscious," with an intentional focus on social justice organizers and participants.
This workshop will incorporate lecture, group discussion, personal reflection time, and (optional) personal sharing. Folders with hand-outs, worksheets, and a bibliography, as well as healthy snacks, water, tea and coffee, will be provided.
Space is limited. I intentionally keep the numbers low to optimize learning and interacting. You must be registered at this Eventbrite site to attend. After you have successfully registered you will receive a confirmation email. (Please note: 11/18 sold out.)
A couple payment options; plus, donations are welcome:
(1) To reserve your spot, make your payment at this Eventbrite site. (Their fees will be added to your payment.)
(2) If you can not pay now, please email Irene to discuss your options. Also register at Eventbrite and check the ticket: "other."
(3) You may pay at the door. (Cash or check.) Pay what you can. Also register at Eventbrite and check the ticket: "other."
3) No one will be turned away for inability to pay. Also register at Eventbrite and check the ticket: "other."
(4) Additionally, there is the option to make a donation to offset someone else's inability to pay.
Facilitated by: Irene Greene, MSED
Irene Greene MSED has 29+ years as a community organizer, therapist, life and relationship coach, and educator. She is the Chair of the MN LGBTQ Therapists Network, a psychological first-aid street medic trainer with North Star Health Collective, and has completed compassion fatigue certification training. Irene's private practice and home is in Minneapolis. Email: email@example.com. www.irenegreene.com
Similar WORKSHOPS offered by Irene:
- Are you interested in THIS WORKSHOP FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION's staff or volunteers? It can be custom-made to the particular setting and needs of your organization.