Radical Self-Care for Community Organizers
(The only date available is 12/17 at 10-1230. Please use this site to register.)
For many community organizers and social justice activists the recent elections have sparked shock, fear and anger. For others it was not so much a shock, just more of the same. For some it has galvanized their energies; while others are uncertain and disillusioned. Many are feeling burnt-out and exhausted or close to it. All have strength, vision and wisdom to share.
This self-care skills-sharing workshop is an opportunity to join together to share, connect and empower.
It is an opportunity for members of these communities to join together to create a safe and open space:
- to share their personal reactions to the elections
- to speak to how the election has impacted their views and energy around their political work
- to offer and receive support and share resources
This is an intentional safe space for all people who share a social consciousness of equality and justice. People who can join in this intention are welcome to attend.
Participants will explore:
- what self-care means to you
- challenges with maintaining self-care, especially while being involved in social action and organizing
- how your political work is impacting your relationships with family and friends and other areas of your life
- why self-care is a radical and political act
- the concept of oppression fatigue and the ways it impacts us personally and in the work that we do
- the relationship between privilege, oppression fatigue and burn-out
- how accumulative trauma and fear impacts our emotional, physical and inter-personal health and well-being
- information about how stress impacts our bodies and ways to manage it more effectively
- strategies to increase our emotional and physical balance when we are feeling afraid, anxious or overwhelmed
Participants will have the option to:
- share ideas and tips for improving and sustaining the multi-levels of self-care, even while doing the often exhausting and intense work of community organizing and coalition-building
- develop "My Personal Self-Care Plan for the Socially Conscious" using worksheets and materials that Irene has created
This workshop will incorporate lecture, group discussion, personal reflection time, and (optional) personal sharing. Folders with hand-outs, worksheets, and a bibliography, as well as healthy snacks, water, tea and coffee, will be provided.
Space is limited to about 12 people. I intentionally keep the numbers low to optimize learning and interacting. You must be registered at this Eventbrite site to attend. After you have successfully registered you will receive a confirmation email. (please note: 11/18 sold out.)
Two payment options; plus, donations are welcome:
(1) To reserve your spot, make your payment at this Eventbrite site. (Their fees will be added to your payment.)
(2) If you can't pay the $25 then contact me directly to make payment arrangements. No one will be turned away for inability to pay. Please also register at Eventbrite and check the ticket: "other."
(3) Additionally, there is the option to make a donation to offset someone else's inability to pay.
Facilitated by: Irene Greene, MSED
Irene Greene MSED has 29+ years as a community organizer, therapist, life and relationship coach, and educator. She is the Chair of the MN LGBTQ Therapists Network, a psychological first-aid street medic trainer with North Star Health Collective, and has completed compassion fatigue certification training. Irene's private practice and home is in Minneapolis. Email: email@example.com. www.irenegreene.com
Similar WORKSHOPS offered by Irene:
- Are you interested in THIS WORKSHOP FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION's staff or volunteers? It will be custom-made to the particular setting and needs of your organization.
- Compassion & Oppression Fatigue & Self-Care for LGBTQPA2S MENTAL HEALTH PROVIDERS: Post-Election support and self-care for mental health and social service providers, advocates, volunteers and students; Strategies to minimize the impacts of our clients' reactions on our emotional well-being. Friday, 12/16/16 at 2-430pm. $65. Some sliding fee slots. CEU forms available.
- Post-Election Self-Care for Mental Health & Social Service Workers: Friday, 12/16/16 at 9-1130am; $65
- Post-Inauguration Self-Care & Connection for Humans: Friday, 1/27/17 at 3-530pm; Saturday, 1/28/17 at 10-1230; Friday, 2/3 at 3-530pm and Sat., 2/4 at 1-330pm; $25. No one turned away for inability to pay.
SUPPORT GROUPS for Women offered by Irene: "Breaking Your Internalized Glass Ceiling: Empowerment Over Fear: Increasing Your Personal Strength" Weekly for 14 weeks; Mondays 330-445pm or Wednesdays 430-545pm; $30-50/session. Space is limited to 9 women/group. Some sliding fee slots. Contact Irene for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org (11/27/16 Update: One of the groups is full. There are a couple slots still open in the other group and a waiting list.)
Date and Time
Irene Greene MSED; Greene Growth & Training LLC
Enhancing Personal & Relationship Change for the Socially Conscious
2100 First Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55404