The University of Houston Master of Public Administration (MPA) Program annually honors the outstanding public elected official who has truly provided positive influence on the ideals of public service in the greater Houston metropolitan area. Criteria for selection include the following:
- Outstanding performance in a challenging work situation
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and ethical decision making
- Places welfare of citizenry above personal, professional, and political motives
- Demonstrated public service values and influence
- Addressed problems beyond his/her jurisdictional boundaries
- Maintains harmonious and supportive relationships across jurisdictional boundaries.