PROTECT Against Substance Abuse
Parents/guardians and their middle school and high school students are invited and encouraged to attend together this upcoming forum led by PROTECT, Parents Reaching Out To Educate Communities Together, a work group of the Unified Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County. Hear the personal stories of parents, young adults, and professionals about the dangers of substance abuse, the signs and symptoms of teenage drug abuse, preventive actions parents can take, and supportive resources. Introduction from Supervisor Pat Herrity will focus on the local epidemic of prescription medicine misuse and heroin use and the importance of UPC community education and awareness programs.
Programs will include remarks and a question-answer session with:
- Greg Richter, Vice-president of UPC and Parent of daughter in recovery from heroin use
- Ginny Atwood Lovett, sibling of Chris Atwood who died from a drug overdose
- Sgt. William Fulton, Regional School Resource Officer, Fairfax County Police Department
- Clinical Supervisor, Fairfax-Falls Church Community Service Board Youth and Family Team
- County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court
- A young adult in recovery
Resource tables from the FFX Community Services Board, FCPS Student Safety and Wellness, The Chris Atwood Foundation, UPC, and other treatment and recovery groups will be open from 6:30-7:00 pm.