This Pro Bono training will prepares you for volunteering with the Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic (MVLC), Legal and Medical Partnership (LAMP), and Marquette Legal Initiative for Nonprofit Corporations (M-LINC) projects. See below for more information on each area.
The Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic (MVLC) is a free, walk-in legal Clinic, staffed by volunteer attorneys and Marquette University Law School students to provide legal information and referral services at four locations in Milwaukee. All students (including 1Ls) are encouraged to volunteer. Shifts are available:
- First and Third Mondays of each month from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. for veterans and their families at 6419 W Greenfield Ave, West Allis.
- Tuesdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. or 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the House of Peace, 1702 W. Walnut Street (staffed by attorneys from multiple firms)
- Wednesdays from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Hillview Building, 1615 S. 22nd Street (staffed by attorneys from Quarles and Brady, LLC)
- Thursdays from 2:00p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Milwaukee Justice Center in the Milwaukee County Courthouse, 901 N. 9th Street, Room 106 (staffed by attorneys from Foley & Lardner, LLP)
- Fridays from 2:00p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Milwaukee Justice Center (MJC) in the Milwaukee County Courthouse, 901 N. 9th Street, Room 106 (staffed by attorneys from multiple firms)
The Law School provides a shuttle to the House of Peace and Hillview locations only. The MJC is within walking distance.
Legal and Medical Parternship (LAMP) is an innovative medical-legal partnership between Marquette Law School, the Medical College of Wisconsin, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and Quarles & Brady, where law students and volunteer attorneys provide limited legal advice and referral services to pediatric patients and their families.
- Wednesdays from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., Downtown Health Center just 4 blocks from campus
- Students should ideally commit to two weeks in a row when they participate. In the first week, they will invite patients to utilize the clinic, in the second week they will see those same people during an appointment with the attorney.
Marquette Legal Initiative for Nonprofit Corporations (M-LINC) is a public service initiative of the law school intended to provide Wisconsin 501(c)(3) organizations with access to free legal advice.
- Wednesdays from Noon to 3:30 pm and Thursdays from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. in the Eisenberg Suite (138)
You will be given the opportunity to sign up for shifts at the respective projects after the training.
For more information, contact: