Actions and Detail Panel
Preparing for the TASC: Developing Algebraic Thinking through Visual Patter...
Fri, May 19, 2017, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM EDT
These workshops are led by NYSED Teacher Leaders and can be taken as stand-alone professional development, but content and teaching strategies will also connect across workshops, so teachers will benefit from attending multiple sessions. Teachers will leave with materials ready for the classroom.
Developing Algebraic Thinking through Visual Patterns
52% of the math section of the TASC test is algebra and functions. If you ask students to
define algebra, you will get a list of disconnected vocabulary words and a series of
negative emotions. For many of our students, algebra was where it all started to come
apart. This workshop will introduce participants to a method for making algebra
accessible and engaging for all students, using visual patterns and connecting to what
students already know to take them to where they need to go.
Connected Videos: Introducing Algebra: More than X, Introducing Patterns & Developing Algebraic Reasoning Through Visual Patterns: A Scaffolded Approach (demo class videos), Open-Ended Activities with Visual Patterns
Borough of Manhattan Community College- ADA Accessible
• All NYC RAEN workshops are for teachers/staff of NYSED-funded adult education programs.
• NYC RAEN reserves the right to cancel or reschedule workshops with fewer than 10 participants.
• Please be sure to arrive on time. Doors close 15 minutes into the session.
• If you cannot attend the workshop, please cancel your registration on Eventbrite.
• If your program utilizes a “Time Card,” please bring a “Time Card” with you to the session. The New York City RAEN does not provide Time Cards.
Please note: This event may be recorded and photographed for non-profit purposes including use in print, on the internet, and all other forms of media. All audience members (or parents/ guardians of minors attending the event) agree to the possibility of appearing on these recordings by virtue of attending the event or participating in the event