NOTE: Early Bird prices are extended to Friday, February 15th and then registration will close. We have a few spaces left so register today!
There are over 6 million pregnancies in the United States each year. About half of these pregnancies are planned; the other half are not. Are you familiar with the resources available to pregnant people considering abortion, adoption, and parenting? Come to the Pregnancy Options 101 workshop to listen and learn more about these options with your local Bay Area colleagues!
Pregnancy Options 101 is designed and hosted by Backline, a nonprofit organization working to promote unconditional and judgment-free support for the full spectrum of decisions, feelings, and experiences with pregnancy, parenting, abortion, and adoption. Our national toll-free Talkline (1-888-493-0092) offers peer counseling and support to hundreds of callers each year.
Pregnancy Options 101: Listening & Learning Together offers a chance to re-charge, reconnect and explore new ways to support people in their pregnancy and parenting decisions. This one-day workshop is a unique opportunity to engage in conversations with fellow health care professionals, advocates, counselors and educators in the Bay Area. Through interactive exercises and discussions, participants will explore their own values around unplanned pregnancy, receive up to date information about current practices in abortion, adoption, and parenting, and learn new tools for unbiased and nonjudgmental counseling and education.
Trainers & Sponsoring Organizations
Pregnancy Options 101 will be co-facilitated by Parker Dockray and Alicia Walters.
Parker Dockray, MSW is the board president of Backline and a longtime advocate for reproductive health and justice. She has a special passion for promoting options in pregnancy, contraceptives, childbirth and parenting, and a talent for connecting people and organizations across issues and experiences. Over the past 17 years in California, in addition to her work with Backline, Parker has served as the director of a community based organization and a statewide advocacy coalition, both dedicated to building resources and networks that advance reproductive health, rights and justice for all people.
Alicia Walters is a consultant and performing artist through her company Creative Justice Works. Focusing mostly on reproductive justice, Alicia works with social justice organizations in communications, policy advocacy, and movement building. With over ten years of experience in the field, Alicia has worked in classrooms, women’s shelters, correctional facilities, and non-profit institutions. As a consultant, her clients have included the ACLU of Northern California, Forward Together, Law Students for Reproductive Justice, and Bay Area Communities for Health Education, among others. Alicia brings a well-honed skill for seeing connections where others may not and working with others to bring out their best.
Pregnancy Options 101: Listening & Learning Together is hosted by Backline and cosponsored by the Bay Area Doula Project, ACCESS Women's Health Justice, Women's Options Center, Adoption Connection, and Homeless Prenatal Program.
Logistics & Policies
- Participants must register by midnight February 15th. No onsite registration will be allowed.
- We will start promptly at the time listed. Participants who arrive late will be admitted at the discretion of the trainers.
- Unfortunately we are unable to offer any CEUs at this time.
- The meeting room and restrooms are wheelchair accessible. Assisted listening devices are available for the deaf and hearing impaired. Guide dogs and assistance animals for people with disabilities are permitted in the Center but must be on leash at all times and muzzled, if necessary.
- Fees include food, all materials and a certificate of completion. Continental breakfast, coffee/tea, and lunch will be provided. Certificates can be requested in person or by email upon completion of the training.
- You may cancel your registration up to one week (7 days) before the training, and your fee will be refunded minus processing fees. If you need to cancel fewer than 7 days prior to the designated training, there will be no refund but you may send a substitute from your agency, or transfer your registration to another Backline training of your choice.
- Future Backline trainings will include other Pregnancy Options 101 workshops; Pregnancy Options 201: Skill Sharing; and Adoption: A Reproductive Justice Dialogue.