Precon #1: Practical Self-Service BI with PowerPivot for Excel
Thursday, November 7, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EST)
Practical Self-Service BI with PowerPivot for Excel
SQL Server MVP and Business Intelligence Architect Bill Pearson leads this full-day, hands-on introduction to using PowerPivot for Excel to deliver self-service business intelligence. The focus of the course is to help those new to PowerPivot to become familiar with the assembly of data from diverse sources into models that deliver business intelligence upon demand. Participants will gain exposure to accessing and relating data, and to employing the Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) language, to construct and share PowerPivot applications that support analysis and reporting throughout the enterprise
Presenter: Bill Pearson, MVP (SQL Server BI), CPA, CITP, CMA, CIA, MCDBA, MCSE, is a consultant, author, mentor and business intelligence architect who has been working with business intelligence for over 18 years, and with the integrated Microsoft Business Intelligence solution since its inception. Bill has been awarded the Microsoft Most Valuable Player multiple times for his technical experience implementing Microsoft BI, as well as his contributions to the community as an author and speaker. Bill’s recent series’ include the Stairway to MDX and Stairway to PowerPivot and DAX columns atSQLServerCentral.com, and he presents regularly at SQL Saturdays and other diverse events all over the United States and elsewhere.
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Assemble and relate data from diverse sources into a PowerPivot model to support self-service business intelligence
- Employ DAX functions to create basic calculations within the PowerPivot data model
- Construct PowerPivot applications that support enterprise analysis and reporting
- Understand deployment options for PowerPivot via SharePoint
Attendees with the following will benefit the most from this course:
- Basic familiarity with the Microsoft Windows operating system
- Exposure to Excel PivotTables and PivotCharts
- Exposure to standard Excel functions
- Exposure to basic relational database concepts
Course Hardware and Software Requirements
Course material will be provided on thumb drives. A laptop is not necessary but will help you take advantage of the course better. If you wish to bring a laptop, requirements are as below.
- Windows 7, Windows XP (SP3), or Windows Vista (SP1)
- 1GB RAM minimum (with 2GB RAM recommended)
- Microsoft Excel 2010 (32-bit or 64-bit) installed
- PowerPivot for Excel (32-bit or 64-bit, as appropriate to attendee machine) installed
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 installed, or available for connection
- Connectivity available to AdventureWorksDW20012 database
- Connectivity available to Adventure Works Analysis Services database
Food: Lunch will be provided at the event location.
Cancellation policy: You can cancel or request refund 48 hours before the event. Full payment is due at the time of registration.
When & Where
Tampa Bay SQL BI
We are a free membership user group that meets the first Monday of every month to discuss and learn about Business with a focus on Microsoft's SQL Server BI stack. We are an accredited PASS (Professional Association of SQL Server) Chapter.
SQL PASS User Group Mission
Empower the local Microsoft SQL Server and Business Intelligence community to connect, share, learn and be inspired through networking, knowledge sharing, peer-based learning, and the ability to influence the direction of Microsoft SQL Server platform.