San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Have you become too dependent on your GPS?. Like any other technology, a GPS can fail in many ways leaving you literally lost in the woods. If you don’t use a GPS, but rely on park trail maps to find your way around, then you are limited to staying on the marked trails or risk being lost. If you are an active outdoors person (hiker, hunter, or adventurer) that wants to be less reliant on a GPS or trail maps, then this class is for you!
In this fun and competitive 6-7 hour class the woods is our classroom. The class is designed to quickly teach you the basics of land navigation using a topographic map and compass. Each skill you learn will be immediately applied out in the woods. Class starts with about 2 hours of "classroom" work at a local coffee shop and then moves to the forest.
The class is professionally taught by a 23-year veteran of U.S. Army Special Forces (Green Berets). No prior navigation or wilderness skills are required.
Your satisfaction with the class is GUARANTEED. If you are not completely satisfied at the end of the class, you entire entrance fee will be cheerfully refunded.
- Minimum class size is 4 people. Maximum is 6 people to ensure individual attention for each person. See class scheduling below.
- This is a low-stress fun class. However, participants should be capable of walking up and down steep hills in open woods and comfortable being outside all day in varying temperature conditions.
- Map, compass and other materials are provided. Of course, you are welcome to bring your own compass
- Class is held in Dawson Forest WMA which is located North of Atlanta about 10 minutes West of the North Georgia Premium Outlets. From the top of the perimeter (285), it will take approximately 1 hour to reach Dawson Forest. A detailed map and instructions will be sent after you register.
- Because of limitations in EventBrite's scheduling functionality, classes are shown as being available every weekend. However, class dates are actually set based on an agreement with each group. Before registering, contact the organizer to set up a class date that works for you and the organizer, then register on EventBrite.
- The class will be held only in good weather. Approximately two days before the class you will be contacted by the organizer to confirm if the class is still on for the day you selected. If the class is cancled, you have the option of rescheduling for another date or receiving a full refund.
- Cancelation and refunds for "other" than weather will be considered on a case-by-case bassis.
What you will need
- Lunch, snacks and water for the day (approximately 7 hours)
- Camp chair or other folding chair
- Insect repellant/sunscreen
- Boots/shoes suitable for hiking in open woods. Waterproof boots are highly recommended as you may be crossing wet areas/intermittent streams.
Contact Us: email@example.com
Save This Event
When & Where
SixNineSouth is a privately owned company that manufactures survival kit components and provides practical wilderness survival and land navigation training.