San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Microsoft SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel is a new technology aimed at providing self-service Business Intelligence (BI). This tool, an Excel add-in, puts the power of expensive and complex business intelligence tools in the hands of strong Excel users, free of charge. PowerPivot is a powerful in-memory database that allows the user to join data from multiple sources, create relationships, and develop calculations in a way previously out of reach to non-technical users.
This class is intended to help you begin to cross the chasm between analyst/Excel user and business intelligence professional. Microsoft has also expanded into Big Data and this class will include a demo on using Big Data in a PowerPivot solution and a GeoFlow demo if time permits.
Presented by: Experienced Excel user and Business Intelligence Professional - Joe Dion
Session will cover:
- Understanding the components of PowerPivot
- Importing Data from multiple types of data sources
- Understanding and creating relationships between the data sources
- Introduction to DAX, the Data Analysis Expressions language that Excel users can easily understand
- Adding calculated measures to the data
- Demo on how to incorporate Big Data into PowerPivot
- A demo of GeoFlow on a PowerPivot solution if time permits (this is a Geography based reporting solution released in Beta in April.)
This is a hands-on knowledge sharing session. Bring your own laptop to follow along.
***No computer is provided by the organizer. ***
- A Windows Based PC (PowerPivot will not work on the Apple version of Excel)
- Microsoft Excel 2010 (or 2013)
- PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010, a free Excel add-in downloadable from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074. Please Install prior to class! (Check the install instructions carefully, you may also need to install the .NET Framework 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime)
- For Microsoft Excel 2013, PowerPivot is already installed, it just needs to be enabled, instructions can be found here:http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/start-powerpivot-in-excel-2013-add-in-HA102837097.asp
When & Where
Excel in Accounting
ExcelinAccounting is a community of finance and accounting professionals in and around San Francisco who want to learn and share advanced Excel spreadsheet techniques used specifically for finance and accounting. ExcelinAccounting began as a San Francisco Institute of Management Accountants program (SFIMA.org), and has grown into a community of its own.