POSTPONED UNTIL FEB 2! Montana "From Here to Democracy" Workshop
Saturday, February 2, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (PST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Strategies for Revoking Corporate Power and Building the Democracy Movement in Montana
Corporations wield great power over our elections, our government agencies, lawmakers and much of civil society, often using that power to advance their interests at the expense of the public good.
How can we reign in corporate power and ensure that corporations act responsibly?
On December 8, Reclaim Democracy will hold a one-day workshop and strategy retreat in Bozeman for those who wish to grapple with illegitimate corporate power and corruption of democracy and gain deeper understanding and tools for becoming more effective agents of change.
The workshop will prod you to question some of your basic assumptions, deepen your understanding, and ultimately help sharpen your focus and effectiveness as an active citizen. We’ll work to develop strategies on how each campaign we wage in Montana can be part of a larger movement to dismantle corporate power and revive democracy. We'll also explore "next steps" after the overwhelming, but symbolic success of the I-166 initiative.
The bulk of the workshop consists of facilitated discussion geared toward creating effective strategies. Well touchg n these topics before delving into MT-specific discussion of strategies.
- A brief history of corporations and democracy and corporate shaping of culture in the U.S. today.
- “What’s the problem?” exploring a range of views on the real roots of the problems we are working to solve.
- The nature of corporations — getting to know the adversary. A brief presentation followed by discussion.
- Lessons of both our successful and failed U.S. social movements and the general characteristics of successful movements.
- Analyzing mechanisms of corporate rule and mechanisms of indoctrination into corporate thinking.
- Exploring avenues for reviving democracy vs. working on corporate turf, escaping the limits of our own preconceptions, and moving from damage control to asserting citizen authority.
- Evaluating “new paradigm” models for systemic change and relating current work to past successful social movements.
- Bringing it home to our own work. A look at how some current issues could be framed and focused differently. How can our improved understanding of our systemic problems be converted to opportunities for successful organizing and impact?
10am-4pm, Saturday, December 8th, 2012
All who care about revitalizing our democratic republic and returning corporations to theior inteneded role as business entities
$25 for early bird registrations (before December 5th)
$35 for general admission (December 5th-December8th)
Includes catered lunch, snacks, coffee and other refreshments.
Beall Park Center
415 N. Bozeman Ave
View Location/ Get Directions in Google Maps
Maximum of 24 people.
There are several inexpensive to moderate, local independent lodging options on East Main. St. We can find homestay space for all who desire it upon request.
When & Where
Missoula Move to Amend and Reclaim Democracy!
Missoula Move to Amend is part of the national MTA network dedicated to revoking corporate personhood. Reclaim Democracy! is a non-profit organization dedicated to restoring democratic authority over corporations, reviving grassroots democracy, and establishing appropriate limits on corporate influence.