For many of us in the LGBTQPA2S communities, the recent elections have sparked shock, fear, and anger for ourselves and for our clients.
This workshop is an opportunity for LGBTQPA2S mental health and social service providers, students, sexual and domestic violence advocates, and volunteers to join together to create a safe and confidential space:
- to share our personal reactions to the elections
- to understand the psycho-physical impacts of stress, trauma and oppression on our bodies, minds & emotions and how to address it.
- to speak to how our clients' reactions have impacted us professionally and personally
- to offer and receive support and resources
Participants will explore & identify:
- "the double whammy" of having our own reactions to the recent events coupled with hearing and supporting our clients' reactions
- the concepts of compassion fatigue and oppression fatigue
- the relationship between compassion fatigue and burn-out
- the specific ways these fatigues impact us personally and in the work that we do (Complete a quick personal assessment developed by Irene.)
- information about what happens to our bodies when we are feeling stress and strategies to calm and sooth in the moment and long-term
- strategies to increase our emotional and physical balance when we are feeling afraid, anxious or overwhelmed
- how to implement these strategies: for ourselves when we are in therapy sessions and by teaching these strategies to our clients
Participants will have the option to:
- share ideas and tips for improving and sustaining the multi-levels of self-care
- develop "My Personal Self-Care Plan for the Socially Conscious" from handouts and worksheets developed by Irene.
This workshop will incorporate lecture, group discussion, personal reflection time, and (optional) personal sharing. Folders with hand-outs, worksheets and a bibliography, as well as healthy snacks, water, tea and coffee, will be provided.
Facilitated by: Irene Greene MSED
Irene has 29+ years as a therapist, life and relationship coach, community organizer, and educator. She is the Chair of the MN LGBTQ Therapists Network, a psychological first-aid street medic trainer with North Star Health Collective and has completed the certification training in compassion fatigue, and a former member of steering committee of MN Women in Psychology.
CEU forms to submit to your board will be available.
LGBTQPA2S: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Pansexual, Asexual, 2-Spirit
Registration: Space is limited. I intentionally keep the size to about 10 people. You must be registered through this Eventbrite site to attend and to hold your spot.
Two ways to pay:
(1) Register & pay at this Eventbrite site. (Eventbrite will add on their fees.)
(2) No one will be turned away for inability to pay. If you are not able to pay anything or need to make payment arrangements please email me at email@example.com. To hold your spot, you will also need to register at this Eventbrite spot and when you do mark the ticket for "other." There is also a button at the Eventbrite site to make a donation towards someone else's inability to pay.
-Participants will have the option to join Irene's ongoing Consultation & Support Group for LGBTQ+ Mental Health Providers, and at a discounted price.
Similar EVENTS offered by Irene:
-"Radical Self-Care for Community Organizers" Fri., 11/18/16 130-4pm 11/18 is FULL.
Sat., 12/17 10-1230pm $25
- Are you interested in THIS WORKSHOP FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION's staff or volunteers? It will be custom-made to the particular setting and needs of your organization.
- Post-Election Self-Care for Mental Health & Social Service Workers: Friday, 12/16/16 at 9-1130am; $65. Understand the psycho-physical impacts of stress, trauma and oppression on our bodies, minds & emotions and how to address it. Support and self-care for mental health and social service providers, advocates, volunteers and students; Strategies to minimize the impacts of our clients' reactions on our emotional well-being. Some sliding fee slots. CEU forms available.
- Post-Inauguration Self-Care & Empowerment for Humans: Saturday, 1/28/17 at 10-1230; $25. Understand the psycho-physical impacts of stress, trauma and oppression on our bodies, minds & emotions and how to address it. No one turned away for inability to pay.
SUPPORT GROUPS for Women offered by Irene: "Breaking Your Internalized Glass Ceiling: Empowerment Over Fear: Increasing Your Personal Strength" Weekly for 14 weeks; Mondays 330-445pm or Wednesdays 430-545pm; $30-50/session. Space is limited to 9 women/group. Some sliding fee slots. Contact Irene for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org (11/27/16 Update: One of the groups is full. Next group starts in January. There are a couple slots still open in the other group and a waiting list.)