San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Play Therapy with Sexually Abused Children: The Basics and the Challenges
Ana Caro, PsyD
(Introductory Level Workshop | Co-Sponsored with Family Support Line)
This workshop will introduce the audience to the use of play-based interventions in the treatment of child sexual abuse. It will start with the basics of play therapy and then will present an integrated approach that includes both individual and systemic interventions.
Participation in this workshop will enable you to:
1) Identify and understand the basics of play therapy.
2) Incorporate play therapy in the assessment of children who were sexually abused.
3) Recognize de differences between non-directive and directive play therapy and their role in treatment.
4) Employ play based interventions in the each phase of treatment.
5) Identify play/family therapy interventions in the treatment of child abuse.
Dr. Caro has worked with children, adolescents and their families for the last 15 years. Her experience includes working for 6 years with children and adolescents at risk of out-of-home placement and with children and adults with histories of physical and sexual abuse. She has taught Play Therapy at Chestnut Hill College since 2006 and presented on Play Therapy in Universities and Community based Agencies in Philadelphia. Dr. Caro's interests include the treatment of psychological trauma, play therapy, international psychology.
Widener University's Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Widener University's Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
When & Where
The Post Graduate Center
The Post-Graduate Center at Widener University seeks to provide high quality evidence-based continuing education events for licensed mental health professionals.
Up-to-date information about all of our CE programs is available on our website at:
While parking is not reserved for events, street parking is free on surrounding streets. Walnut Street, which cuts through the center of campus, tends to fill up quickly—it would be helpful to budget extra time for finding parking.
Parking passes are available for those who wish to park in Widener campus lots. To receive a pass, plan to arrive for registration a few minutes early to obtain your pass and place it on your dashboard. Campus parking lots can be viewed http://www.widener.edu/about/maps_directions/main_campus/map_pdfs/Parking_Map_june_2016.pdf
The Post-Graduate Center and the Best Western- Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University are in partnership. Please dial 610-872-8100 and mention that you are affiliated with the Widener Workshop for a discounted rate of $99/night. For additonal information, please visit http://www.bestwesternphiladelphiaairport.com/
- Individuals who cancel with more than 7 days notice will receive a full refund.
- Individuals who cancel with less than 72 hours notice but more than 24 hours notice will receive a partial refund (i.e., amount paid - $10 processing fee)
- Individuals who cancel with less than 24 hours notice will receive no refund