This event is designed to inform family members, friends and spouses about how to best plan and care for an aging parent or loved one.
Registration: 8:30 am - 9:00 am
Welcome remarks: 9:00 am
Opening Panel: 9:30 am - 10:45 am
Closing Panel: 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Free Lunch: 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
Workshop 1: 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Workshop 2: 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Workshops are to provide information to aging loved ones and caregivers.
Each workshop session repeats in both time slots.
1. Healthcare Reform and Medicare: What it Means for You
This workshop will provide the following:
- Explains improvements in the prescription drug coverage benefit
- Discusses the changes to Medicare Advantage Plans
- Outlines additional areas of Medicare coverage, including preventive care benefits
- Gives a snapshot of changes outside of Medicare
- Reviews timeline for implementation of the Affordable Care Act
2. Planning the Best Legal and Financial Future
This workshop will provide a summary overview of the basic legal issues, responsibilities and accountabilities related to:
- How to plan for aging before crises arise
- Trusts, wills, estate planning, guardianship
- Advanced directives for medical care
- Senior fraud concerns and reporting of elder abuse/neglect of finances, property and health of older adults.
3. Healthy Eating and Living
This workshop will provide basic information regarding the process of healthy aging and challenges of aging such as:
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Preparing healthy meals and the benefits of healthy diets
- Preparing for emergencies
- Neighborhood safety concerns of older adults.
For more information, please call Aisha Brown at (510) 272-6686.
Alameda County Supervisor Keith Carson
When & Where
Supervisor Keith Carson
Alameda County Supervisor Keith Carson serves as a member of the Alameda County Board of Supervisors and is currently the Board President. He represents the Fifth District, which includes the cities of Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville and Piedmont; the West Oakland, North Oakland, Rockridge, Grand Lake, Manzanita, Dimond District communities and portions of the Fruitvale neighborhood.
For a calendar of events in District 5, please click here: