About this workshop:
Get introduced to Photoshop basics so that you can make simple design edits or images without coordinating with a design consultant. This workshop is for Photoshop beginners and will include step-by-step guides to walk you through the various tools and potential of this software. Photoshop is not only a photo editing tool but also a design tool that enables you to combine images and convey new meaning. This workshop will walk you through an example project of adding an app interface to an iphone image and adding a background to add context to the app. You’ll then have an additional practice project followed by time to work on your own photo editing project with the instructor available to help answer any questions you may have.
You’ll Learn How To:
- Create a photo montage that communicates an app in context.
- Use the basic toolbar features.
- Eliminate unwanted background images.
- Change the transparency and color of a photo.
- Place and adjust photos.
- Use Photoshop Layers to your advantage.
- Those who have never used Photoshop before but want to.
- Startup founders & employees who need to make design edits to their work or create simple images.
- Engineers who want to better understand the tools of a designer.
- We highly encourage those from underrepresented backgrounds to attend inclusive of women, LGBTQ community, people of color, veterans and the like.
- This workshop will be useful for those working in nonprofits and small businesses, however the outputs of the workshop will be catered towards the needs of startups.
- Introduction (10m)
- Intro Tutorial Project (20m)
- Practice Project (30m)
- Individual Photo Project (30m)
Meet Your Instructor:
Sami Nerenberg has been teaching design in higher education for the last eight years at Northwestern University, Pratt, and the Rhode Island School of Design. She is currently the executive director of the Alliance for Community Development, supporting underrepresented entrepreneurs and is the previous associate director of Design for America. Sami believes that as humans we surround ourselves with designed objects, spaces and experiences that reflect our past, present, or aspirations for the future. Her dream would be for all services to be as simple, beautiful, and intuitive as possible.
“Sami is the best. She truly cares about the projects and she gives you constructive feedback. Her demonstrations of Photoshop and Illustrator skills are super helpful too. Loved this course!”
– Northwestern University Student Review
For more on Sami, check out www.saminerenberg.com
- Must have a laptop and Adobe Photoshop. If you don’t already have Photoshop, learn how to download a free 30 day trial here. Be sure to download well before the workshop as it can take a few hours to load.
- Bring a photo project that you’d like to get help with after the practice project.
- Download the workshop prep materials that will be emailed to you before the workshop.
Impact Hub Members: $5
Image Credit: http://www.mytownfanclub.com/