All our Pet First Aid and CPR classes are approved for CEU's by many organizations including:
- Massachusetts Certified Veterinarian Technicians
- North Carolina Veterinary Board
Do not let this scare you off. All pet owners will greatly benefit from this class. This just shows the level of the class for our students.
The Pet Saver / First Aid and CPR program is aproximately 8 hours in length and is the recommended course of instruction and includes all three classes.
1. Pet First Aid & CPR (Approximately 5-6 hours)(10am - 3pm)
One of the most important and vital items you will learn in this class is the Snout -To-Tail assessment. This skill alone is worth the price of admission
Restraining and Muzzling
Canine and Feline CPR
Assessing the Pet's Vitals
Insect Bites & Stings and snake bites
Heat & Cold Injuries
You can read more about this program and others at:
You can see all out Pet First Aid products on our shop:
About your instructor.
Jim Helems currently owns Jim Helems' Dog Pals. As a dog behavior consultant and dog trainer Jim deals with dogs and other pets on a daily basis. Along with his 22 years as a military medic, Jim is uniquely qualified to teach this class.
Certified by both Pet Tech, (A Certified Master Instructor) and the American Red Cross.
Currently Jim is involved with several Disaster Animal Response Teams at the local, state and national levels assisting in local disasters and also assists the ASPCA and the International Fund for Animal Welfare in rescuing dogs from illegal puppy mills.
Most importantly Jim has used these skills to help save the lives of several dogs from car accidents, illness and more.
Classes are scheduled, in part, based on attendance. We do not refund any fees paid, but will allow you to attend another class of your choosing within 1 year of original class date. This is your responsibilty to schedule a new class with the instructor prior to attending class.
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
We recommend: Girls 10 years or older, Boys 12 years and older, exceptions are always possible
What can/can't I bring to the event?
No dogs/cats allowed in class except service dogs.
You can bring a lunch or snacks and drink if you wish
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Jim Helems, firstname.lastname@example.org
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
You should but not required
What is the refund policy?
There are no refunds on classes. But you can atttend another class within 1 year of your purchase date. You must contat the instructor prior to the class to ensure a seat.
When & Where
Adventure Dogs USA & Jim Helems' Dog Pals
Jim Helems life is all about dogs. He currently shares his home with his wife, son, four Austrailian Shepherds and two cats.
Our Training Philosphy
I strongly believe that the relationship with your dog can be as strong as any human to human relationship can be. In such, I believe the training between you and your pal should include:
- Bonding Games
- Building trust between you and your pal
- Mental games for your dog
- Physical games for strength building
- Socialization, to make your friend comfortable in our strange and noisy world
- Recall Training (come when called)
- And most importantly, training should be fun for both partners; human and canine alike. If either of you are frustrated or the training feels like work then the training will not be as effective as it should be.
Jim has been training dogs all his life, but after retiring from the U.S. Air Force, (Field Medic), he started working with dogs in Behavior Modification, Dog Sports and in basic dog training skills (from puppies to adults)
But Pyro, one of Jim's dogs has helped him learn more than any formal training class could ever do. Pyro is an Australian Shepherd, a herding breed, that has dog to dog issues, hyper anxiety levels and is hyper vigilant. Jim wanted to help him to live in our human world and in this effort he traveled, with Pyro throughout the U.S. working with some of the best trainers in the U.S.
Some of this training included your basic dog dog training techniques but also included:
- Dog working camps
- Clicker training
- Dog Comminicators
- Dog Reiki sessions
- Holistic Methods (Food modifications)
- And more
Although Pyro is not cured he is now living comfortably in our human society and travels wih Jim to Adventure Dogs USA events, Dog Parks, seminars and more.
This experience can know help you with your dog behavior and training needs.
- APDT Canine Life and Social Skills Evaluator
- Adventure Dogs USA Founder
- Good Canine Citizen (CGC) Evaluator
- Certified Dog Trick Instructor
- Licensed Master Pet Tech Pet First Aid and CPR Instructor
- Certified American Red Cross Pet First Aid and CPR Instructor
- Therapy Pets Unlimited Evaluator
- Service Dog Trainer for "Train A Dog - Save A Warrior"
- Certified K9 Fit Trainer
- Leave No Trace Master Instructor
- Massachusetts Certified Animal Control Officer
- Massachusetts Pilot/Animatch Evaluator
- Appalachian Mountain Club Hike/Backpack and Canoe Leader
- Licensed Presenter for Dogs and Storks
- Presenter for "Be A Tree" Dog Bite Prevention programs
- Reiki Level 2
Other Affiliations and Experience:
- Member of The Association of Pet Dog Trainers
- Past Troop Leader Dog Scouts of America Troop 211
- Radio host of Canine Conversation
- Team Leader All-Star Performance Dog Team
- Training Leader Hampshire Emergency Animal Response Team (H.E.A.R.T.)
- Member State of Massachusetts Animal Response Team (SMART)
- Member Berkshire Disaster Response Team (BDART)
- Member Central Massachusetts Disaster Response Team (CMDART)
- National Responder for the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)
- National Responder for the American Society of Prevention Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
- Volunteer at Dakin Pioneer Valley Humane Society (Vet Clinic)
- Volunteer New Spirit 4 Aussie Rescue