In this three-day course, participants will learn how to use the PHPP for residential building design and certification. Participants will be guided step-by-step through the relevant worksheets, while learning the correct conventions for measurements and calculations. Proper documentation will also covered in detail. A case study will provide participants with practical experience in completing and documenting PHPP calculations for building certification.
- Learn the structure, inputs, and outputs of PHPP software
- Select and input appropriate climate data sets in PHPP
- Measure and record building characteristics (areas, volumes, etc)
- Specify building assemblies and components
- Enter HVAC systems
- Assess building heat loss, energy demand and summertime overheating risk
- Compare Passive House and North American standards
- Gain practical experience in completing a PHPP assessment for a residential development
Intended Audience: Architects, developers, self-builders and other building professionals.
Prerequisites: Knowledge of Excel, familiarity with reading construction drawings, and a general understanding of low energy buildings is expected. Participants who lack one or more of these may find it difficult to keep up with the course material and exercises.
Optional Course Extension: Course participants wishing to further refine their PHPP skills will have the opportunity to complete a take home case study after the course. Completed case studies can be submitted for assessment at an additional charge.
Course Requirements: Laptop with Autodesk Design Review (2012 or later), PHPPv8 (or later version) preloaded, and PHPP manual.
Autodesk Design Review is a free CAD viewer and mark-up program that can be downloaded for free from http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/. Note that AutoDesk Design Review does not work on MACs. You can either use Window for Mac, or download an alternative CAD mark-up program.