Actions and Detail Panel
Painted Churches Bus Trip - Schulenburg
Wed, May 10, 2017, 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM CDT
In the mid-19th century, Czech and German settlers arrived in Central Texas looking for new lives of economic opportunity and religious freedom. These hardworking immigrants developed small communities in Fayette County and constructed churches to comfort their spirits and sustain their faith.
Today four of these churches dot the landscape of Ammannsville, Dubina, High Hill, and Praha, small communities near Schulenburg. These four churches are monuments to the strength and perseverance of our state’s early settlers, but they also provide a rich aesthetic history of Texas. Though the architecture is typically Gothic Revival in style, the interior of these spaces includes rare decorative painting techniques and nearly every wall is covered with bright, densely rendered murals.
A tour with guide of all four churches with a stop for lunch at Frank's Restaurant costs only $45 per person. Cost includes bus transportation, tour fee, tip and snacks/drinks on bus. Lunch will be at your own expense and ordered off the menu. Cash is the preferred method of payment to speed up the checkout process.
Please read the FAQ's for additional information about our accessibily and release policies, what to bring, weather, refunds, where to meet the bus, meal options etc.
FOL Accessibilty and Release Policy:
- Acessibility Policy: We try to ensure that the bus trips are accessible to persons with disabilities; however, we are unable to provide assistance of a personal nature such as administering medications and assigning a personal trip companion. Those passengers requiring this additional assistance must be accompanied by a responsible adult on all trips.
- Release: I wish to participate in the Bus Trip to the Painted Churches in Schulenburg scheduled by the Friends of the Bulverde/Spring Branch Library. I am aware of the risks inherent in participating in the activity, including physical injury, death, or other consequences arising or resulting from the activity, including traveling to and/or from the activity. I agree to accept responsibility for such risks. I further agree to advise activity planners of any physical or mental limitations I may have. I agree to be fully responsible for my own property, and equipment related to this activity. In consideration of and part of a right to participate in this activity, I hereby release and indemnify the Friends of the Bulverde/Spring Branch Library and the Bulverde/Spring Branch Library and their staff of any and all liability, claims and causes of actions arising out of or in any way connected with my participation in this activity offered by the Friends of the Bulverde/Spring Branch Library. I also agree to allow any medical personnel the opportunity to treat an illness, injury, or any other medical condition. I agree to accept responsibility for any medical costs which may result from my participation. I have read this release and indemnification agreement and understand its meaning. This release is intended to bind my heirs, representatives, successors, assigns and administrators.
How do I pay and can I pay for more than one person?
- When you select tickets you will be directed to the payment page where you will fill out the required information and pay via credit card. You may add as many people as you wish.
Will the trip be canceled if there are not enough riders?
- Yes. If we do not reach a minimum of 40 riders we will cancel and you will receive a refund.
How many people will be on the tour?
- The maximum is 50. This allows a seat for the tour guide and space for a cooler of drinks in the rear of the bus. (This site will have 35 tickets available via credit card which leaves 15 check/cash tickets at the library.
Can I pay by check/cash?
- Yes, but not on this site. It must be sent or brought to the library and a paper form must be also filled out.
What can I bring with me?
- Water and snacks will be provided on the bus, but feel free to bring your own as well.
What happens if it rains?
- The trip will still happen! Just prepare with a rain jacket and/or umbrella.
Where do I meet the bus and when?
- Please park in the Home Depot Parking lot across from the Bulverde/Spring Branch Library. Please arrive about 7:30 as the bus will leave promptly at 7:45 a.m. The plan is to arrive back around 5:30 p.m., but due to traffic that could be as much as an hour later so plan accordingly.
What's the refund policy?
- Refunds will be given provided you cancel prior to May 3. After that date, you will need to find a replacement or forfeit your payment.
Do I need to bring my printed ticket?
- Yes; we will have a sign in sheet, but it would be easier to have the ticket.
Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable?
- Yes; be sure and give your ticket to the person.
Why is lunch not included in the cost?
- In the past our bus trips included a meal, but this one will not. Due to the numerous needs of our riders, gluten free, vegetarian, carb free, etc., we felt if would be best to allow everyone to pay for their own meal. Frank's has a variety of options for all. A menu will be sent via email prior to the date for you to look at and decide what you might want. This should speed up the ordering of meals and if you can pay by cash that would also help.