San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The 7th Annual P.A.I.N. Summit hosted by the Power of Pain Foundation provides a great avenue for pain education for providers, patients and their caregivers. This year’s conference consists of an exhibit area and educational sessions that focus on better diagnosis and treatment options for pain patients, chronic pain issues (as a whole), prescription monitoring programs, and Proper Opioid Management. There will be breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack provided to attendees.
The event will be hosted by Brittany Brannon, Miss Arizona USA 2011, model, and RSD patient. The event will also feature two celebrity speakers, Dr. Natalie Stand, MD winner of the Amazing Race, and WWE star and professional wrestler, Raven.
The day will consist of two sessions.
- 8am - 1:00pm The morning sessions are focused for healthcare providers. This includes all areas of expertise; anesthesiologists, complementary medicine specialists, emergency room, general practitioners, internal medicine, neurologists, nurses, orthopedics, pharmacists, physiatrists, physician assistants, primary care physicians, psychiatrists, surgeons, and therapists. Any clinician who practices, or is interested in practicing, pain management from an integrative perspective, will benefit from the meeting. HCP’s will be introduced to the rapidly expanding field of diagnosis and treatment. This conference will proved attendees a greater awareness and understanding of the need to appropriately identify, diagnose (HCPs only) and treat/seek treatment of common types of pain, including fibromyalgia, painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy and other chronic pain conditions.
- 1:30pm - 4:30pm The afternoon sessions will be filled with patients and their family/ caregivers. This portion of the conference will provide attendees a greater awareness and understanding of the need to appropriately identify, and treat/seek treatment of common types of pain.
There is no charge to attend this conference.
Session 1: For Healthcare Providers
8:00 am - 4:00 pm Ongoing Registration, Breakfast - Hosted by Brittany Brannon, Miss AZ USA, RSD Patient
8:15 am – 9:30 am Keynote address: Preventing complications that arise from diabetes such as peripheral neuropathy (pain), with early signs, treatment options, and proper education for the patient Dr. Natalie Stand, MD, Amazing Race Winner, USC Pain Clinic
9:30 am – 10:45 am An Integrative Approach to Chronic Pain (HCP audience) Review effective conventional interventions, and how an integrative approach incorporates in the treatment of pain conditions using: Pharmacologic and biologic therapies, The role of diet, exercise and sleep in healing, Complementary therapies including acupuncture, bodywork, and energy medicine Dr. Philip Getson, DO Drexel University and Cherry Hill Medical Associates, NJ
10:45 am - 11:00 am Break
11:00 am - 12:15 am Cultural Competency and the Patient in Pain (HCP audience) Overview of the need for appropriate cultural competency in the evolving healthcare environment (quality measures, ACA, etc.) Review cultural competency approaches for appropriate diagnosis and treatment of pain conditions Dr. Maged Hamza, MD, VCU-MCV Hospital, VA
12:15 pm – 1:00 pm Open Discussion with the Speakers and Attendees, Lunch, Exhibitors
Session 2: for Patients, Caregivers, Family, and Public
Checkin for Session 2 begins at 1pm
1:30 pm – 2:30pm An Integrative Approach to Chronic Pain (Patient audience) Review effective conventional interventions, and how an integrative approach incorporates in the treatment of pain conditions using: Pharmacologic and biologic therapies, The role of diet, exercise and sleep in healing, Complementary therapies including acupuncture, bodywork, and energy medicine Dr. Philip Getson, DO Drexel University, PA and Cherry Hill Medical Associates, NJ
2:30 pm - 3:15 pm Prescription Drug Monitor program Explained (Patient audience) These are a conduit for transparency that allows patients and prescribers to focus on medical case management, With enhanced transparency, we all may avoid the pitfalls of abuse, misuse, and drug diversion, Rob Kronenberg, PharmD HealthSouth Hospital, AZ
3:15 pm – 4:30pm Panel Discussion: Pain Coping Skills between provider visits (Patient audience)
Patient with Fibromyalgia Diane Kennelly, AZ Fibromyalgia Group
Patient with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy- pDPN WWE Wrestler: Raven
Patient with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Barby Ingle, Power of Pain Foundation
Anesthesiologist, Dr. Tory McJunkin, Arizona Pain Specialists
If you are unable to attend in person, you can attend by watching our UStream Channel http://www.ustream.tv/channel/power-of-pain-foundation
co-sponsors: Pfizer, Power of Pain Foundation, Health Services Advisory Group, Inc., Arizona Pain Specialists
Health Services Advisory Group, Arizona Pain Specialists, and the Power of Pain Foundation names and logos do not imply endorsement of the general policies, activities, or products of Pfi zer or co-sponsors.
When & Where
International Pain Foundation
The International Pain Foundation (iPain) provides community based support services that address the immediate need of chronic pain patients with conditions such as RSD, CRPS, Post Cancer Pain, Lupus, Lyme, failed back syndrome and Diabetic Neuropathy.
Promoting public and professional awareness of chronic pain conditions
- Educate those afflicted with the syndrome, their families, friends and healthcare providers on the disabling pain it causes.
- Action-oriented public awareness, education, and pain policy improvement through activities and efforts to eliminate the under treatment of chronic pain.
- Commitment to raising funds for financial, emotional and educational support for chronic pain sufferers.