Get outdoors, get active and PLAY! Join Columbus Metro Parks, ECRN+ and HERO USA for a day of Outdoor Adaptive Adventures! Children with special needs along with their family, friends and the community are invited to Praire Oaks Metro Parks to participate in outdoor fun, physical activity and networking.
Highlights and Activites Planned:
Canoeing - HERO USA Instructors are ACA certified and trained in Adaptive Paddling. Boating supplies are provided. *Pre-reserved time slots required. You'll receive an email with a link to signup.
Fishing - Instruction will be provided by Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks. Borrowed fishing supplies will be available. *Pre-reserved time slots required. You'll receive an email with a link to signup.
Kayaking - HERO USA instructors are ACA certified and trained in Adaptive Paddling. Boating supplies are provided. *Pre-reserved time slots required. You'll receive an email with a link to signup.
Family Hike and Creeking - Creeking supplies are provided.
Live reptiles and amphibians from Metro Parks
Nature arts and crafts and interactive nature display from Metro Parks
Picnic lunch* and water throughout the day (thanks to ECRN+, Giant Eagle, Kelly BMW, Tyler Riggs, and Ben Figula)
Lawn games and sensory play (thanks to ECRN+, Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks, Chris & Diane Gerling and the Kranz Family)
Facepainting & temp tattoos (thanks to Anabelle Smith)
Climbing Wall (thanks to Columbus Recreation and Parks Department)
Character Visits from The Royals Project*
Fire crew and Engine from Norwich Township and Fire Department*
Team Rahal racecar on display
Door prizes from Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, The Arc of Ohio,HERO USA, ECRN+ SPARK program, Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks, Jonathon Powell, Cleveland Browns,
We'll even have an accessible changing station thanks to The Mother Ship, Inc.
Darby Bend Lakes at Prairie Oaks Metro Park
2755 Amity Road, Hilliard, OH 43026
Please note, our meetup point is NOT in the main park. Google Maps or your GPS may take you just down the road from the entrance to our meetup. Look for balloons at Darby Bend Lakes entrance on Amity road.
• No experience is required!
• This is a family and community event! We encourage you to bring and register your family and friends!
• We are providing lunch at noon along with snack and water throughout the day. If your family has special dietary needs or preferences, you are welcome to bring your own meal and picnic in the park with us!
• Parents/Guardians must stay with their child at all times. We encourage family participation!
• In the event of inclement weather, the event will be cancelled. If water conditions are unsafe, boats can't be on the water. Please check facebook.com/ECRNplus (you don't need to have a facebook profile to see our public posts) or call 614.835.6073 the day of the event for the latest updates.
• Most of the area is located in the sun. We recommend your child and family wear sun protection (sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, etc)
• Restrooms are available but do not have running water. Please bring any extra water you may need.
• Wear comfortable clothes and closed-toed shoes ideal for the weather.
• If Kayaking and Canoeing or Creeking, please wear clothes and shoes that you don't mind getting wet. In addition, a change of clothes and a towel.