Orange is the New BRoke Tailgate Party
Saturday, September 28, 2013 from 2:00 PM to 5:30 PM (PDT)
Baton Rouge, LA
Join us decked out in your "orangest" as we celebrate all the good done and help given to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank with everyone who participated in the #GeauxforBRoke movement for Hunger Action Month AND help us cheer our LSU Tigers to victory against the Georgia Bulldogs!
What is the GeauxforBRoke Movement?
What if every night you unintentionally went to bed hungry? You could not afford to eat a full three meals a day and were surrounded by what most would call, limitations? Many in the world, the country and in our neighborhoods face this issue each and every day.
This September, you have the opportunity to do more than just become educated; you have the opportunity to act and #GeauxforBRoke. The 2BRokeGuys, the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank and LSU Campus Life are combining to bring this incredible opportunity into your home.
From September 23 through September 27, 2013, we are encouraging you to put an action behind the awareness by feeding yourself on only $2.25 a day. That equals to $11.25 for the five day week.
Participants are then encouraged to donate the difference of what they would normally spend for the week, to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. There will also be bins for canned items around the city that the community can contribute towards.
How does it work?
- You have a total of $11.25 or $2.25/day with which to buy all ingredients for your meals
- The full cost of all the items consumed must be included in your budget. Budget for whole packages of food such as rice, pasta, noodles, milk and eggs, etc
- No combination of meals on any given day can exceed the $2.25 spending limit.
- No participant spends more than $2.25 a day or their total $11.25 budget
Spices and Seasonings
- You can only use salt and pepper. Most do not have the luxury of using parsely, Tony's, the "holy trinity" (onions, bell pepper and celery) or any other spices we take for granted
- If you want to use these items, include them in your cost
- One of the easiest ways to partake in the challenge is to share the cost of ingredients amongst a team
- Working as a team will allow you to pool together funds and do more with your cooking
Snacks and 'Donated' food
- You can’t grab a snack from the pantry unless you include the cost of buying the item new in your budget
- You cannot accept ‘donated’ food from family or friends
From the source
- You can use food sourced from your garden as long as you can account for the price of production
- You are allowed to drink tap water
* We took the lead from the global movement Live Below the Line for these resources
Partners, Sponsors & Affiliates
· 2BRokeGuys, L3C
When & Where
We are Josh Howard and Ryan Chenevert, better known as the 2BRokeGuys. Simply put, we are adventure seekers on a budget with a huge heart for our community. Our goal is to #Geaux4Broke in every aspect of life. That includes skydiving, thrift store shopping or being a listening ear for those who need to be heard. We are excited to bring you along the ride of a city-wide project that we are whole-heartedly passionate about.