Have a project in mind, but lack either the tools, the space, or the expertise? Rebuilding Exchange is proud to offer Open Shop, where you can receive guidance from our knowledgeable instructors for all types of projects. While all skill levels are welcome, the project you tackle and the tools and materials you may use are subject to instructor approval. Materials aren't included, but will be available for purchase in the warehouse (we recommend coming 1 hour early to your workshop to pick out your materials). We cannot guarantee that your project will be finished in the 3 hours, and larger projects may take multiple sessions depending on skill level. Please note that it is difficult to finish a table top or table base project in 3 hours. For table top we recommend Woodworking 101. Tickets are per person, not per item. Items must be taken with you at the end of the workshop.
Before your workshop, please email your proposed project to firstname.lastname@example.org for instructor approval, or the instructor will email you.
Please make sure you have your measurements and materials ready BEFORE class- this way you will optimize your work time in the woodshop!
Below is the list of approved tools for Open Shop. Again, tool use subject to instructor approval.
- Rockwell 10” table saw - Unisaw (instructor use only)
- Rockwell 12/14” tilting arbor saw (instructor use only)
- Powermatic 15” Planer 15s
- Delta 12” Planer 22-560
- Delta 8” Jointer DJ-20
- Delta 6” Jointer 37-196
- Rockwell Drill Press 15-665
- Delta Drill Press 17-900
- Dewalt Compound Mitre Saw DW718
- Jet Lathe JML-1014
- Rockwell Bandsaw 28-340
- Delta Bandsaw BS220LS
- Delta Stationary Sander
- Rockwell Scroll Saw 62-166
- Porter Cable Router Table
- Skill 7 ¼” circular sar
- Dewalt Jig Saw
- 8-Makita Cordless Drills
- 3-Dewalt 4” Orbital Sanders
- 2- Dewalt Angle Grinder
- Porter Cable 18 ga nail gun and compressor
- Porter Cable 23 ga pin nailer
- hand planes
- tenon saws
- coping saw
- marking gauges
Please review all details below, including the cancellation policies, before committing to a workshop.
No prior wood working experience is necessary. All of our woodworking workshops are 18+.
View all workshops: http://rebuildingexchange.eventbrite.com
For more information, email email@example.com or call the warehouse at (773) 252-2234 ext. 5.
Rebuilding Exchange is a 501c3 non-profit and our mission is to create a market for reclaimed building materials. We do this by diverting materials from landfills and making them accessible for reuse through our retail warehouse, by promoting sustainable deconstruction practices, by providing education and job training programs, and by creating innovative models for sustainable reuse.
Workshop and Class Policies:
- Please arrive to class on time- especially for an evening class. If you arrive more than 30 minutes late you will only be allowed to observe the remainder of the class. If you arrive more than an hour late, the instructor can choose if they want you to observe the class.
- If you can not make a class, then you MUST call or email firstname.lastname@example.org 48 hours before the start of a one-time workshop or class.
- If you can not make a 2 or 4 week series workshop, then you MUST call or email email@example.com 1 week before the class starts.
- If you drop a class before the deadline, then absolutely NO credit will be given (this includes credit in the form of another class).
- If you become ill and seek medical attention, then you must provide Rebuilding Exchange with a physician’s note within one week of the class that you miss. Only then will we be able to provide a credit.
- You must attend all of the classes in a 2 or four week series- there are no make-up sessions unless you provide a physician’s note.
- If for any reason Rebuilding Exchange needs to cancel a class or workshop, you will be notified and refunded.
- PLEASE NOTE: Final products may vary from the images that are shown.
OUR ADDRESS: 1740 W Webster Avenue, Chicago, IL 60614
PARKING: Free parking is available in our parking lot in designated RX parking spots between 9am and 6pm on weekdays. On evenings after 6pm and on weekends, you are welcome to park anywhere in our lot. There is also street parking in front of the building on Webster.
PUBLIC TRANSIT: Rebuilding Exchange is accessible by CTA bus and train, as well as by the Metra. For more information or to plan your trip, visit http://www.transitchicago.com.
WHAT TO WEAR: Wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. Closed-toe shoes are required. Long hair must be tied back and no dangling jewelry or accessories should be worn. Facial hair should be trimmed and groomed. These rules are for your safety and must be followed. It is at the instructor's discretion to dismiss you from the workshop until proper attire is worn.