Online Personal Safety Training For Home Health and Social Service Workers
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Learn how to stay safe and effectively
manage conflict during home visits
Workers who visit people's homes face safety issues unique to their profession — from residents, pets and neighbors — far beyond what workers face who operate within the four walls of an institution.
In addition, a home is a person's "castle" and, as a result, people often behave differently there (as compared to the outside world) causing unique conflicts. If not managed well, this conflict can escalate to emotional or physical violence.
Personal safety issues and poorly managed conflict can result in client complaints, litigation, emotional/physical injuries and high worker turnover.
However, home-visit workers usually get less training on how to stay safe and manage conflict than their colleagues who work within a hospital, clinic or other facility.
This is true despite the home-visit worker not having the protection of four walls, restricted access, security guard presence and peer support — and facing far great risks.
Vistelar, the world leader in conflict management training at the point-of-impact, was first made aware of this problem in 2014 from a long-standing healthcare client (a large Children's Hospital). With over 400 field social workers, they were acutely aware of these issues but struggled with the time, cost and logistical challenges posed by the need to provide training to individuals who were located throughout an entire state.
As a result, the decision was made to develop an online training program for these workers which could be accessed from any Internet-connected device.
Vistelar is a global consulting and training institute focused on addressing the entire spectrum of human conflict at the point of impact — from interpersonal discord, verbal abuse and bullying – to crisis communications, assault and physical violence. Vistelar was well positioned to take on this project, given the expertise of Vistelar consultants amassed over more than 30 years of work in public safety, healthcare, education and business.
In all, a team of seven Vistelar consultants worked together to develop this online program, each bringing their own perspective to the training.
This project was such a success that the client and Vistelar decided to make the program publicly available on the Vistelar College proprietary eLearning infrastructure. This online training program — Personal Safety for Home Health and Social Services Workers — is the result of that decision.
The program was designed to provide these benefits:
- client conflict
- instances of conflict escalating to violence
- client complaints
- staff injuries
- overall safety
- client cooperation
- internal collaboration
- worker morale
- employee retention
This unique online training program enables staff to:
- Get immediate access to the training
- Progress at their own pace via short modules
- Work in increments while on shift (and, when they return, know where they left off)
- Print progress reports
- Download an 8-hour training certificate upon completion
Each module consists of some text, short videos, in-course performance activities, and a quiz. Students can’t progress to the next module without passing each quiz.
The course is designed for all home health and social service workers.
The program is based on Vistelar's First Responder Philosophy and Disturbance Resolution Model.
The First Responder Philosophy is the overall approach for how to respond to emergency situations and the Disturbance Resolution Model emphasizes how to operate within the entire spectrum of human conflict — from approach considerations, intervention options and follow-through consideration.
The course emphasizes how to integrate verbal interventions with physical alternatives and how to adapt your communication to the needs of the client to gain cooperation and collaboration.
Intervention options include communication tactics for dealing with patients, their family members, the public, and your fellow staff members (including supervisors, peers, and subordinates, as well as other professionals).
Although the training focuses on developing verbal skills (Vistelar's Verbal Defense & Influence curriculum), personal safety and awareness tools and tactics are introduced to give avoidance and escape options when words alone might fail.
The overall goal is to reduce the frequency of conflict (non-escalation) and, when a situation escalates, respond in an effective manner to de-escalate the conflict — instead of reacting impulsively.
Special Introductory Pricing
The normal price of this online program is $199.00 per student.
However, for a short period of time, we are offering special introductory pricing (above).
For more than 70, please call us at 877-690-8230
Again, these introductory prices will only be available for a short period of time.
Here is just some of what you will learn:
- How to apply Vistelar's non-escalation, de-escalation and crisis intervention tactics to home visits
- How to act decisively and calmly in situations of conflict
- How to communicate under pressure in a way that is respectful and professional
- Why patients/clients act and react in situations of stress and respond accordingly
- Managing your safety at 10-5-2 feet distances
- How to adapt your communication for dealing with children
- How to leverage your relationship with your client to enhance your safety
- Proxemics such as the "Stop Sign" and "Guiding Hands" to communicate while maintaining a safe distance
- How to create a safety pre-checklist to prepare for a visit
- Identifying and managing real-world conflict situations
- Communicating effectively in the midst of stress
- Non-escalation verbalization tactics
- Preventing conflict from escalating to violence
- How to treat others with dignity by showing respect
- Entire spectrum of conflict: approach, intervention, follow through
- Tactical empathy: understanding the perspective of others
- Developing a supportive atmosphere – even in extreme conflict situations
- Practicing when-then thinking
- How to develop a social contract to reduce conflict
- Being alert and decisive / responding, instead of impulsively reacting
- Developing a preplanned practiced response
- Physical positioning, proxemics and escape options
Save This Event
Vistelar is a global consulting and training intitute focused on addressing the entire spectrum of human conflict - from interpersonal discord, verbal abuse and bullying - to crisis communications, assault and physical violence.