Calling all foodies big and small! Join us at our new family food fair, One More Bite, on Sunday, Oct. 23, at the Green Building in Gowanus.
At One More Bite we’ll be encouraging kids to try new foods and learn how good food is made. Local farmers, activists and entrepreneurs will offer healthy and delicious samples of their products, and lead kids of all ages in hands-on activities. As your kids learn about the food system, and try new flavors, they’ll also be seeking out stamps for the special passbook they'll receive when you arrive, and win a treat of their choice from Ovenly, Barkthins or Pirasta at the end for their efforts.
Your "stops" throughout the day include Pure Genius Provisions, McClure’s Pickles, Umi Kitchen, Cava Grill, True Made Foods, Tuckrbox, All Granola, Gotham Greens, Les Trois Petits Cochons and Rick's Picks for delicious samples, plus partners like:
- Annie Novak of Growing Chefs and Eagle Street Rooftop Farm, who will be leading a series of activities about Monarch butterflies and how they pollinate our favorite snacks
- City Growers, who will explore all the different parts of plants that we eat through art projects--from leaves to roots to flowers and fruits
- Pure Food Kids will ask kids to guess and measure the amount of sugar they think a processed food contains
Kids can also “food color” with Private Picassos between 11am and 2pm using apples, pears and mini pumpkins as the medium for their masterpieces. So come dressed for a (washable) mess!
And parents, we haven’t forgotten you. We’ve scheduled three great, drop-in talks for mealtime inspiration too:
- 12pm: Finding the joy in family meals with Kate Huling of Marlow Goods and a contributor to Dinner at the Long Table
- 1pm: Panel with nutritionists who are also parents, Samantha Rigoli, RD, and Aynsley Kirshenbaum, MS Human Nutrition, on what they do, and don't eat at home (and how that's probably different for everyone)
- 2pm: Tips on encouraging the pickiest of eaters to try new foods with Andrea Kapner of Tiny Turnips Kitchen and Kate Homes of Carried Away Chefs
Greenpoint's Cassette restaurant will also offer coffee, tea, juice, beer, wine, mimosas and Clawhammer farm burgers for sale throughout.
Advance tickets are $5 per adult, $7 at the door, and kids are free. We have goody bags for the first 100 guests, and following the fair, you can take your ticket to Ample Hills for $1 off a cone. Make a day of it!