Actions and Detail Panel
One Day Film School for Producers at Pigmental Studios (with Pierre Bagley,...
Sat, February 25, 2017, 9:30 AM – 6:00 PM EST
The One Day Film School for Producers is a professional development opportunity to learn the high level concepts on how to make and monetize film & video projects from successful industry veterans. This is a one day intensive course to learn new concepts, network with your community, and refresh yourself on things you may already know. A light breakfast, snacks and lunch will be provided to attendees.* And, there will be door prizes provided by sponsors, including an annual subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud. Join us at Pigmental Studios with host and featured speaker Pierre Bagley along with guest speakers Kimberly Skyrme, Antonio Piedra, Paul Marengo, and Brian Frankel.
9:30am Doors Open and Breakfast provided
10:00am Brief Introductions and Elevator Pitches
10:25am Comments from Brian Frankel
10:30am The Business of Show Business, followed by Q&A
12:30pm Lunch provided & Informal Networking
1:30pm Pre-production, followed by Q&A
3:00pm Production, followed by Q&A
4:30pm Post Production, followed by Q&A
5:45pm Closing Comments and Adobe Raffle
Parking is free.
The closest Metro station is NoMa–Gallaudet U station.
Here is more detailed information on the event:
-------------- Speaker Bios -------------------------------------
• Pierre Bagley is a Feature Film Producer/Director with more than 35 years of experience in the media and entertainment industry. (Pierre also served as the director of the DC Office of Motion Picture and Television Development from 2014 to 2015.) Pierre is the producer, director, and co-writer of the independent feature From the Rough, starring academy award nominees, Taraji P. Henson (Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile), and British actor Tom Felton (Harry Potter). He guided the project from development to production in less than six months and raised nearly $7.5 million in equity to complete the film. Other recent projects include two critically-acclaimed documentaries, A Legacy of Leadership, hosted by Sidney Poitier; and LAPD: Transforming the Dream, commissioned by former LAPD Police Chief, and current NYPD Police Commissioner, William H. Bratton.
• Kimberly Skyrme is a Casting Director-CSA/Producer. Her work includes Commercials, Government Agency Productions, as well as Hollywood Film and Television Productions that film in the area. She was the Casting Director and Executive Producer of the feature film TRI, which premiered April 2016. Her casting portfolio includes: the Emmy Award winning Netflix original series House of Cards - Seasons 1, 2 & 3; Unsolved Mysteries; Deep Impact; Hearts in Atlantis; Beloved; The Pelican Brief; True Lies; and Clear and Present Danger. Independent Feature and Short Projects: A Good Egg; Twice Exceptional; Death of a Nation; Group House; and Camouflage. Selected Commercials: Emfamil, McCormick, Washington Post, AOL, UMD-UC and Bud Light. Kimberly has garnered kudos for her work in music videos, games, interactive programs, training videos, radio and theatre. Kimberly is a board member of the Chesapeake Film Festival as their Creative Strategist. She is also on the Advisory Board at the National Conservatory of Dramatic Arts in Washington, DC and The Arts Education in Maryland Schools . Kimberly is a member of the Casting Society of America.
• Antonio Piedra is an award-winning music video and commercial producer. Antonio has produced for some of the biggest names in music including Pitbull, Shaggy, Missy Elliott, Lumidee, Ricardo Montaner, Shaquile O'neil, Kymani Marley. His talent for producing quality content with sleek imagery, bright colors and innovative graphics has made him one of today's most sought-after producers having contributed on projects for Make A Wish Foundation, Bank Atlantic, National Coalition Against Domestic Violence and KRS that can be seen on FOX, Comedy Channel, NBC and MTV. Antonio has produced several movies including the critically acclaimed cult classic "Shottas" starring Wyclef Jean and Kymani Marley and "Lost Everything" in 2010. In 2016, Antonio joined Universal Media Group and Akita Films to develop, produce and distribute feature content worldwide. His next film "Asphalt Jungle" goes into production in Spring 2017.
• Paul Marengo is the CEO of Promethean Fundraising, a small boutique consulting firm that advises grassroots organizations on how to become more competitive fundraisers. Mr. Marengo has 25+ years experience in non-profit organizational development. In his career, Paul has been the Festival Director for DC Shorts, the Asian Pacific American Film Festival as well as the Volunteer Coordinator for DC Independent Film Festival, DC Underground Film Festival, and now FilmFestDC. Further adding to his resume, Paul has been the event manager for organizations such as the Guerilla Film Festival and Reel Affirmations as well as a Theater Manager for the Washington Jewish Film Festival. Lastly, Paul has been a film judge/screener for the NYC Independent Film Festival, The Washington West Film Festival, Smart Philm Festival, and many others.
• Brian A. Frankel is a business, entertainment, and intellectual property attorney based in Washington D.C. Brian’s practice includes contracts & transactional law, entertainment law, copyright, trademark, corporate formation, business strategy, and litigation. Brian has represented clients that include film & video producers, media distribution companies, screenwriters, Fortune 50 companies, technology startups, online marketplaces, social media & marketing firms, a professional athletic team, freelancers, podcasters, live event producers and talent. Brian serves on the Board of Directors for and as the Education Chairman of Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts where he has volunteered since 2007. Brian serves as the Executive Director of D.C. Filmmakers / D.C Media Makers and is the Festival Director for the Wheaton Film festival. Brian is also an award-winning independent filmmaker. He has produced and/or directed music videos, films, television shows, commercials, and multi-media projects. Brian’s past video clients include MTV, Spike TV, Motorola, M Audio, Def Jam South Records, the Merchant Marines, and the Independent Feature Project.
------------ Host Venue -------------
At Pigmental Studios, renowned animation artists and technologists come together to share their most creative ideas, work with international production partners and produce groundbreaking new works. Pigmental’s talented group of artists include Iain McCaig (Harry Potter; Terminator 2; Guardians of the Galaxy), Marjolaine Tremblay (Birdman; Live, Die, Repeat; Hunger Games: Catching Fire), Stephen Platt (Ironman; Oblivion; The Day the Earth Stood Still) and David Krentz (Ant-Man; Guardians of the Galaxy; John Carter). To position itself as the premier, internationally focused animation studio in the industry, the Pigmental team chose Washington, D.C. to launch their new films. New films in production include KONG, co-produced with Aquamen Entertainment (China/Korea); and an animated feature with Sergio Pablos, creator of Despicable Me, which is scheduled for release in early 2017 (Spain). In addition to its film projects, Pigmental Studios is scheduled to launch an apprenticeship-training program for individuals interested in animation, which will focus on specific career tracks within the animated media industry as well as provide apprentices access to animator and production mentors.
* Breakfast and lunch will be provided at no additional charge. If you have any special dietary concerns or restrictions, please bring your own food.
---------------- Curriculum --------------------------------
Part I - The Business of Show Business
Selling a film
Building an audience
Promotion and Marketing
Dealing with distributors
The effect of good casting
& much more
Part 2 - Pre-Production
Review the overall pre-production process
Coming up with and deciding on ideas
Scripts sources – DIY writing, option agreements, public domain, hiring writers
Script format - length, 3-act structure, etc.
Building your team
& much more
Part 3 - Production
Review the overall production process
Hiring the right crew
Managing a production schedule and budget
How to handle crew/actors
& much more
Part 4 - Post Production
Review of the overall post-production process
Post recording of sound
& much more
----------- Sponsors & Partners ------------------------------
Thank you to our sponsors & partners, including Pigmental Studios, Arune LLC, DC Shorts, Copyright Counselors, Women In Film & Video, Washington Lawyers for the Arts, Adobe Software, Jungle Software, Chuck Levin's, and Red Giant Software.
Thanks to our promotional partners, including the TIVA, Washington Film Meetup, Silver Spring Film Club, Get Createrly, DC Casting Meetup Group, Washington Film Directors Meetup, Adventures for Creative Tourists Group, Improbable Comedy, The Sunday Night Film Club - DC Chapter, Herndon Short-Film Makers, DC Casting Meetup Group,