Actions and Detail Panel
Old Croton Aqueduct Trail Hike with Rare Access Inside Abandoned Weir
Sun, April 30, 2017, 10:45 AM – 3:00 PM EDT
Join New York Adventure Club for a five-mile guided hike, tour, & exploration through the historic remnants of the Old Croton Aqueduct, New York City’s first water supply system built between 1837 and 1842.
Led by a member of the Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduct, our hike from Croton-on-Hudson to Ossining will include:
- A historical discussion around the Croton Dam, highlighting the complex engineering and difficult labor that was required to build it.
- An exploration of the New Croton Dam; completed in 1907, the New Croton Dam replaced the Old Croton Dam at the beginning of the Croton Aqueduct. This dam is also believed to be the second-largest manmade limestone structure in the world, behind the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt!
- Stops along the trail to point out the aqueduct ventilators, constructed to ventilate the aqueduct.
- Rare access inside a weir, or maintenance chamber, that will give us a good look at the original aqueduct from the inside.
This relatively flat hike should take between 4-5 hours, so please bring comfortable shoes, water, and snacks.
Food, drinks, and restrooms can be found in the town of Ossining, our final destination on the hike.
Click here to see pictures from one of our last visits to the Old Croton Aqueduct Trail!
*This ticket does not include transportation— please see below for more details.
- 10:45am — Meet at Croton-Harmon Train Station to taxi over to Croton Dam (please bring small bills for the taxi!)
- 11:00am — Begin Exploration of Croton Dam, from the base to the very top
- 12:00pm — Snack break!
- 12:30pm — Begin hike from Dam to Ossining
- 2:00pm — Weir exploration
- 3:00pm — Arrive in Ossining, Hike Complete!
By Public Transit: Take the Poughkeepsie Station bound Metro-North Train departing at 9:43am from Grand Central Terminal, and depart at the Croton-Harmon Station at 10:35am. The NY Adventure Club Brand Ambassador will be waiting at the GCT circular information kiosk (side facing Apple) until 9:35am if you’d like to travel together. Metro-North tickets can now be purchased via your smartphone — click here for more details.
Trains from Ossining depart for GCT at the following times: 3:04, 3:37, 3:49, 4:04, 4:35, 4:53
By Car: Since our hike ends in Ossining, we recommend that attendees traveling by car park at Ossining Station and board the Poughkeepsie Station bound Metro-North Train departing at 10:30am, which arrives at the Croton-Harmon Station at 10:35am.
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.