Okaeri 2016: A Nikkei LGBTQ Gathering
While the Nikkei community has been a comforting home for many of us, LGBTQ Japanese Americans have often felt shamed, excluded or rejected. There is a sense that we have to hide our sexual orientation and gender identities.
In 2014, a group of LGBTQ Nikkei, parents of LGBTQ Nikkei, and allies of LGBTQ people organized Okaeri: A Nikkei LGBTQ Gathering, the first-ever conference focused on LGBTQ Nikkei.
Okaeri was a great success. More than 200 people from across the U.S. and Canada attended. Okaeri inspired Nikkei in Seattle, Sacramento, and the San Francisco Bay Area to organize similar gatherings.
But too many LGBTQ Nikkei are still estranged from our families and the Nikkei community. The need for acceptance, healing and the undoing of homophobia and transphobia continues. Join us for an inclusive Nikkei community at Okaeri 2016.
Okaeri 2016 is an opportunity for you to:
- Connect with LGBTQ Nikkei and allies
- Find support, resources and information
- Learn how Nikkei have embraced their LGBTQ family members
No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Contact us at email@example.com for information on how to recieve a scholorhip for free addmission.
Friday, October 14, 2016
- Welcome 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Saturday, October 15, 2016
- Registration 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM
- Opening, Welcome and Keynote Speaker 9:00 AM - 9:40 AM
- Plenary - Transgender/Gender Fluid Voices 9:40 AM - 10:40 AM
- Workshop Breakout 10:50 AM - 12:10 PM
- Open Lunch 12:10 PM -12:40 PM
- Plenary - Intergenerational, Intersectional Connections 12:40 PM - 1:40 PM
- Workshop Breakout 1:50 PM -3:10 PM
- Networking or Little Tokyo Walking Tour 3:20 PM -4:20 PM
- Closing 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Plenary Session & Workshop Topics:
- Intergenerational Connections Within the LGBTQ and Nikkei Communities
- Family Acceptance
- Religion & LGBTQ Inclusion
- LGBTQ Mental Health, Intergenerational Trauma & Healing
- Gender/Trans 101
Visit www.okaeri-losangeles.org for more information.