The NYC Famine Hackathon is a project of the 50/50: Make or Break Initiative to raise £1 million for UNICEF's efforts to provide aid to famine refugees in East Africa. To achieve this goal, the 50/50 platform was built to launch 50 fundraising projects in 50 days. 10 projects are already active - we hope to develop at least 5 (or 10!) more fundraising projects here in NYC, over the course of one weekend.
Our project page is up! Check it out here.
Friday, September 23
- 6:00pm - open
- 6:30pm - welcome & presentations by sponsors Grind & AppFirst
- 7:00pm - API demos by - Foursquare & Etsy
- 8:00pm - Pitch ideas & form teams
- 10:00pm - close
Saturday, September 24
- 9:00am - open & breakfast : bagel spread courtesy of Bergen Bagel
- 10:30am - Lean Startup Machine workshop
- 12:00pm - Lunch courtesy of Le Bagel Delight
- 4:00pm - Teams to check-in
- 6:00pm - Dinner courtesy of Blue Smoke
- 9:00pm - close
Sunday, September 25
- 9:00am - open & breakfast: bagel spread courtesy of Bergen Bagel
- 12:00pm - Check-in with mentors & lunch
- 4:30pm - Presentations!
- 6:00pm - close
Brought to you by...
When & Where
NYC Famine Hackathon
The Difference Engine, AppFirst and Grind are partnering to bring you the NYC Famine Hackathon.
Our sole purpose is to facilitate the development of at least 5 projects to help raise funds for East Africa - in one weekend.
"50/50 is a collaborative experiment, a platform of 50 little bets: digital projects created and run by individuals and teams of makers. Each project aims to engage a network of supporters to help spread the word and generate as much money for famine aid as possible.
We're getting close to selling out of this event - but do not dispair!
If you're not a developer but still want to attend, that's okay - there are a few tickets left in that category, so go ahead and register (we won't test your knowledge of PHP or Ruby or anything!).
If there are still no tickets available, sign up on the waitlist for "Nice Folks" - we'll be releasing a few additional tickets on Thursday afternoon.
And if you're really interested in doing something like this again, please get in touch! We'll organize another one if there's enough interest.
Mentors & API Update!
We have some terrific mentors coming and some super awesome demos that are sure to inspire great ideas...
- And a workshop hosted by Lean StartUp Machine
And our fabulous mentors include...
- Yao Huang, Hatchery
- Rachel Sklar, Change the Ratio, Charitini, Hashable
- Jalak Jabanputra, New York City Investment Fund
- Kelley Boyd, Think Experience
- Caroline Waxler, Lucky/Conde Nast
- Sloane Berrent, The Causemopolitan & Lippe Taylor
- Stuart Eccles, Made by Many
- Trevor Owens, Lean Startup Machine
- Ryan MacCarrigan, AppFirst
- And more...
Thanks to all for helping make this an amazing event.