NULITES Summer Camps
Monday, June 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM - Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM (PDT)
What is NULITES Summer Camp All About?
Fun and exciting opportunities
- Exposure to a broad range of opportunities that offer youth a chance to recognize their passions and interests.
- Meaningful, challenging, and fun opportunities for youth to contribute in areas they are passionate about pursuing.
- Opportunities for youth and staff to be involved in the co-creation of future camp curriculum and activities.
Invisible learning and skill building
- Intentionally provide invisible learning and skill building opportunities that accelerate academic, social-emotional, and physical (physical activity and nutrition) learning.
- Utilize thematic learning methodologies and service learning.
- Activities designed to meet young people’s developmental needs and to accommodate different learning styles.
Supportive relationships with adults and friends
- Provide youth with attention by caring adults and peers who challenge them, encourage them to participate in positive experiences, and respect their opinions.
- Staff members actively cultivate such relationships to ensure that every youth feels connected to one or more adults and can forge friendships with peers.
- Staff members demonstrate warmth, closeness, caring, appreciation, acceptance and guidance in their interactions with members.
High expectations and standards
- A culture of excellence exists among staff and students in terms of both achievement and conduct.
- High expectations and standards are communicated consistently.
- Staff and students work in partnership to create NULITES Summer Camp programming and activities.
- Camp based on a national model. Evaluation of the impact of camp on summer learning and healthy youth development was conducted by the Partnership for Families and Children.
- Provide recognition for the intrinsic worth and accomplishments of youth.
- As youth make improvements, staff members and peers encourage and reinforce their efforts using rewards, incentives, and awards. This includes culminating events for prominently showcasing achievements through performances and presentations.
When & Where
Urban League of Metropolitan Denver NULITES Center
The Urban League of Metropolitan Denver (ULMD) aims to help African Americans and other residents of metro Denver attain social and economic equality and self-reliance. As a chief advocate for social and economic justice in northeast Denver, the ULMD is committed to eliminating the achievement gap between minority and non-minority students by providing students with the programming and tools they need to succeed. The National Urban League Incentives to Excel and Succeed (NULITES) Program has been the primary youth programming delivery system in far northeast Denver.
The NULITES program is a national initiative that began in 1989 to provide opportunities for personal and leadership development to high school students. There are currently 57 NULITES chapters in 26 states, and the Montbello campus is the first in Colorado. The Montbello NULITES center has partnered with a variety of community, faith -based, business and civic organizations to engage, mentor, and tutor students with the goal of making them lifelong learners. Participation in summer programming is a key component in our students’ future successes.
Students who participate in summer programming experience a marked increase in information retention; better preparing them for the following school year. Our camps incorporate a fun, interesting, valuable and challenging curriculum that encourages responsibility and self-empowerment and provides students with relevant and positive guidance. In order to ensure the programs we offer deliver impact and change, we emphasize partnerships and collaboration in the program-development process.
We are here to serve you, your family, and all of our community. Welcome to NULITES Summer Camp!