Actions and Detail Panel
NRA Instructor Personal Protection In The Home Course
Sat, May 20, 2017, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM EDT
Instructor Candidates should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. Instructor Candidates will learn how to teach the basic defensive shooting skills, strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense, and continued opportunities for skill development. Instructor Candidates will receive the NRA Personal Protection in the Home Instructor Candidate Packet (includes: Personal Protection In The Home Lesson Plan with PowerPoint CD, Personal Protection In The Home Instructor Exam, Instructor Application Course Evaluation Form, Trainer's Exam, and NRA Trainers' Catalog); NRA Personal Protection in the Home Student Packet (includes: Personal Protection in the Home Handbook, Student Exam and Course Completion Certificate) and a course completion card.
The NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Instructor course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law, and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course.
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred)
- Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Semi-Automatic Pistol (9mm or larger) or Revolver (.38 Special or larger) with at least 100 rounds of factory ammunition. NO RELOADS
- At least two functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers)
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional, but recommended) and foot wear suitable for training outdoors.
PLEASE NOTE: Certifications are issued by the NRA training department, therefore there is also additional certification and processing fees payable to the NRA.
- Must currently be an NRA Pistol Instructor.
- Must have completed NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) within the last two years and bring documentation of that training to the course. Instructor Candidates without this training within the past two years can not be recommended for certification. This course DOES NOT include BIT. (If you require BIT, call (252) 515-0855 to schedule seperately).
- Must be able to pass the Pre-Course Qualification practical exercises and shooting course. Download the PPITH-Instructor Prequal here (PDF). Hint: you will want to PRACTICE the shooting exercise prior to being evaluated for this course. Alternatively, candidates may provide documented proof of Classified Sharpshooter or better in NRA Conventional or Action Pistol, Classified Marksman or better in International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) or Classified “C” or better in US Practical Shooting Association (USPSA)/International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) or a certification as an NRA LEAD Handgun/Shotgun or Tactical Handgun certified instructor.
- Must complete the Instructor Candidate Questionnaire (PDF)
Please remember NRA Instructor Courses are performance based courses, Instructor Candidates must possess the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for this level of training. You do not pay and automatically pass Instructor training. You pay to have the opportunity to pass.
This course will require a minimum of 4 Instructor Candidates registered no later than 5/13/2017. If this number is not met, the course will be cancelled.