Join us for our yearly Lā Holoholo (Family Fishing Days) to learn about Heʻeia Fishpond and help us eradicate predatory fish. The purpose of this event is to fish out predators (papio, barracuda, toau, tilapia) from the pond to allow more desireable herbivorous fish to survive.
** This fall we are offering 3 Lā Holoholo dates - 1 in each month of September, October, and November. In order to accommodate as many people as possible, please be courteous and do not sign up for more than 1 date. More dates will be released as the year goes on and you can sign up again. No worry!! **
Here are some answers to commonly asked questions:
1) Fee - The fee is $10 per pole. We do not provide any poles/bait/lures, you must provide your own. Only pole fishing is allowed. One person may bring more than one pole.
2) Fishing gear - Poles (with or without reels) are allowed. No other fishing equipment is allowed. No large nets or traps. This is reef fishing so plan accordingly. Red scoop nets for the kids and buckets are okay.
3) Location - The fishing will take place along Heʻeia Fishpond wall which extends about 3/4 mile out into the ocean. Fishing is allowed both in and out of the pond. Within the pond, only predators are allowed to be catch-and-keep; all others are catch-and-release. Fishing is also allowed outside the pond but State legal limits are enforced. You may walk on the reef outside the pond but must stay on the wall when fishing inside the pond.
4) Catch - Predator fish are the only fish allowed to be taken inside the pond, all other fish caught must be released back into the pond. Our pond predators are Papio, Barracuda, Toau, and Tilapia. Fishing is also allowed outside the pond and State legal limits will be enforced. Everyone must fill out catch report at the end of the day.
5) Additional Information - Upon payment, you will receive a small packet of information including driving directions to the fishpond, safety guidelines, and a child waiver.
Please call our office at 808-236-6178 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions. Mahalo for signing up, we can't wait to see you at the fishpond this year!!