PR Writing Workshop in Portland
Learn to get the word out via media relations
in this two-day, hands-on PR-writing workshop
PR professionals have been married to the traditional news release format since Ivy Lee created the release more than 100 years ago. Why, then, do we need a new approach?
With 2,500 releases crossing the wires each day — that’s one every 35 seconds — the impact of your traditional news release ain’t what it used to be. In fact, more than half of all traditional press releases never get covered, according to PR Newswire’s own research.
In this PR writing workshop, you’ll learn current best practices from the Public Relations Society of America’s “national writing coach.” You’ll find out how to go beyond PR 101 approaches to write media relations pieces that get posted and published, boost your search engine rankings and reach stakeholders directly.
Specifically, you’ll learn to how to:
- Think Like a Reporter. Place your PR piece among the 3% to 45% (Wilcox & Nolte) that actually get used: Develop story angles that media outlets actually want to run, instead of those that you just wish they’d run.
- Avoid PR 101 Approaches. You’re not still stuffing all of the W’s and the H into your lead, are you? You’re not writing “XYZ Company today announced that,” right? Learn current best practices — proven in the lab! — for organizing a contemporary, compelling PR piece.
- Cut Through the Clutter for PR Smackdown. Make your PR piece up to 300% more readable. Find out how long is too long for PR headlines, leads, sentences, phrases and words. Then use a cool tool (you already have it on your computer) to measurably improve readability.
- Turn Lame-ass Quotes Into Killer Sound Bites. Do your PR quotes still sound like the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons: “Wah wah wah wah”? Learn techniques for making your subject matter experts sound as fascinating as Winston Churchill or Ronald Reagan.
- Take Your Story From ‘Meh’ to Masterpiece. Bring your laptop and a story to work on, write and rewrite, get and give feedback, and leave with a totally rewritten piece.
Registration starts at 8 a.m.
Select your VIP level
- Two days of training
- Lunch each day (Please do let us know about your dietary issues and aversions when you register)
- Coffee and tea each morning
- Workbook for capturing your ideas and insights
- Everything at the Silver level
- Plus $281.50 worth of Ann's learning tools:
Anatomy of a press release, a $127 value
- Clarify Complex Copy toolkit, a $127 value
Get Good at Getting the Goods handbook, a $27.50 value
Get $297 worth of additional learning tools for just $100:
- Everything at the Gold level
- 12-month subscription to Rev Up Readership, a $297 value
Get follow-up support — plus an exclusive conversation with Ann:
- Everything at the Platinum level
- A 30-minute one-on-one phone consult with Ann after the workshop (a $500 value)
Sorry: only 10 Diamond tickets available!
Q. What are some of the hotels nearby?
A. Hotels near the Master Class
View these hotels on our Pinterest map.
Please contact hotels directly for room rates and booking.
Q. What about parking and driving directions?
A. Directions, Maps and parking information.
Q. Can I cancel my ticket if I can't make it?
A. Can’t make it? Please feel free to send a colleague in your place. No charge for substitutions. If you must cancel via email:
- by May 27, and receive a full refund, minus a $50 handling fee.
- by June 27, and receive a 75% refund.
- Sorry, no refunds after June 27.
Q. Do you offer any discounts?
A. We have no doubt that the Master Class will be the best $1,200 you invest this year on your professional development. But here are six ways to reduce that investment or boost your return on it:
- Save $100 - book an early bird ticket when you register by May 1 June 15 Sold out!
- Save $100 if you’re a PRSA member. (Join PRSA.) Save $100 if you’re a Rev Up Readership member. (Join Rev Up Readership.) Click “Enter promotional code”. RevUpReadership members: Enter your RevUpReadership.com password. Others: Enter your promo code.
- Save $100 each when you bring two or more colleagues.
- Save $50 each when you bring one colleague.
- Earn a free, three-month Rev Up Readership subscription (or extension, if you’re already a member) — a $100 value — when you refer a friend who buys a ticket and attends the Master Class.
|VIP Level||Non-member||Rev Up Readership or PRSA member|
|Single||Double||3 or more||Single||Double||3 or more|
|Silver||By June 15||$1,095||$1,045||$995||$995||$945||$895|
|After June 15||$1,195||$1,145||$1,095||$1,095||$1,045||$995|
|Gold||By June 15||$1,195||$1,145||$1,095||$1,095||$1,045||$995|
|After June 15||$1,295||$1,245||$1,195||$1,195||$1,145||$1,095|
|Platinum||By June 15||$1,295||$1,245||$1,195||$1,195||$1,145||$1,095|
|After June 15||$1,395||$1,345||$1,295||$1,295||$1,245||$1,195|
|Diamond||By June 15||$1,695||$1,645||$1,595||$1,595||$1,545||$1,495|
|After June 15||$1,795||$1,745||$1,695||$1,695||$1,645||$1,595|
Q. Can I bring my writing sample to the workshop?
A. Yes, you can bring your writing samples to the workshop.
Q. Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
A. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to contact us.
Q. Can I update my registration information?
A. Yes, you can go to your ticket and update your registration information and dietary preferences.
Q. Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the workshop?
A. Yes, please carry a copy of the ticket to the workshop
When & Where
Ann Wylie works with communicators who want to reach more readers and with organizations that want to get the word out.