Join us on Sunday, February 26th for an introduction to our Volunteer Staff program. Learn about the variety of areas where we need support and meet the team. You'll be able to ask questions, get to know some of our current Volunteer Staff, and learn about the behind-the-scenes activities that make the Center function.
We invite all who are interested in supporting the Center through volunteer service to attend this orientation. However, please know that we are in need of support for some specific shifts, which will take priority during recruitment.
Those shifts are:
- Avian Medical Clinic - Saturdays, 1pm to 5pm
- Education & Husbandry - Monday through Sunday, either 8:30am to 12:30pm or 1pm to 5pm
- Administrative & Development Office - Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 9am to 1pm or Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1pm to 5pm
- Guest Services - Thursdays and Saturdays, 10am to 2pm
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How old do you have to be to volunteer at the Center? You must be 18 years or older to volunteer in the Avian Medical Clinic and 16 years or older to volunteer in all other departments. However, seasonal internships and service learning opportunities may be arranged for students under the age of 16.
- Do Volunteer Staff have to commit to a set schedule or number of hours? We require all on-campus volunteers to commit to one four-hour shift each week for a minimum of six months.
- What if I want to help, but cannot commit to a set schedule? Consider joining us as a Transport Volunteer. These volunteers work within their own geographic area and, after receiving instruction in the principals and techniques essential to the safe capture and transport of injured birds of prey and some shore birds, they are responsible for bringing injured birds to the Avian Medical Clinic from throughout the state. We host a couple of training sessions for new Transport Volunteers each year, so if you decide that your preference would be to assist the Center in this manner, please email us so we can notify you of the next session.
- Do you have to know about birds to volunteer at the Center? No, but you will learn a lot while working with us! All we require from you is a desire to make a difference through your committed volunteer service.
- Where can I contact the organizer with any questions? Call 843.971.7474 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org