Actions and Detail Panel
New England Regional Assembly 2017
Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 6:00 PM – Sat, Apr 22, 2017, 3:30 PM EDT
Celebrate our Unitarian Universalist faith through inspired worship, music, engaged learning, fun and fellowship. Meet the 2017 UUA Presidential Candidates. Sing. Reflect. Feel. Make connections. Awaken your spirit!
Friday, April 21, 2017
- 6:00 PM Check in
- 7:00 PM Welcome and Singing
- 7:30 PM UUA Presidential Candidates Forum with Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray, Rev. Alison Miller and Rev. Jeanne Pupke, moderated by Rev. Manish Mishra-Marzetti
- 9:00 PM Reception: an opportunity for informal conversation with the candidates
Saturday, April 22, 2017
- 8:30 AM Check in
- 9:00 AM Worship with acclaimed liturgist Dr. Glen Thomas Rideout and preacher Rev. Robin Bartlett
- 11:00 AM Workshops (choose one ~ descriptions below)
"Congregational Relevance" with Hilary Allen
"Justice Ministry Matters" with Meck Groot
"Creating & Leading Dynamic Lay-Led Worship" with Rev. Sue Phillips
- 12:15 PM Lunch
- 1:30 PM Community Sing with Dr. Ysaye Barnwell, a special opportunity for anyone who wants to sing with other people to do just that. This will be conducted in the “oral tradition” so you don’t have to read music or have any musical training. We'll begin in a fun easy way and within two hours we will become a choir of uncommon voices singing in 4 to 6 part harmony and raising the roof!
- 3:30 Regional Assembly ends
- 3:45 PM Annual Meetings for Ballou Channing and Northern New England Districts. You may register for one of these annual meetings when you register for Regional Assembly.
$125 ADULT FEE ~ ages 20+ years
$25 YOUTH FEE ~ ages 12-19 years
No charge for children 11 years and younger to attend. FREE Child Care is available when you register.
No charge to come Friday night only to the UUA Presidentital Candidates Forum, but you must Pre-Register
While we know that not all individuals are in a position to pay these fees, we assume that congregations will make efforts to offer financial support for their members to participate in Regional Assembly. However, if the fees are prohibitive even to the congregation, please contact us about receiving a reduced rate.
Registration Deadline: April 10, 2017 or when we reach maximum capacity
Our registration fee does not include overnight accommodations. If you need an overnight stay, you must make your own arrangements.
- The block of rooms reserved at the Boston/Woburn Hilton Hotel are sold out. Please check out these other local hotels for availability.
WORKSHOP DESCRIPTIONS - CHOOSE ONE TO ATTEND
CONGREGATIONAL RELEVANCE with Hilary Allen, Innovation & Growth, New England Region UUA
You know the trends… religious participation is dwindling. You are feeling the realities… leaders are burning out, there’s less money, greater need for spiritual supports. Are you ready to take the story of the decline of the church and the irrelevance of religion in society and put it on the shelf for a bit? Step away from the fear of "the end" to embrace the possibilities for congregational relevance that are already alive in our communities and available to us now! We'll explore what we know from congregations that have achieved greater relevance in their communities, for contemporary times, and given the deep yearnings of the human soul. (Hint: It’s not alway flashy and doesn't always involve getting rid of the organ.) Just as Unitarian Universalism has adapted over the centuries, our congregations are well suited to be beacons of relevance today. Together we will let go of the story of decline and continue making the choices that set us on the path of relevance. The journey down the path of deeper relevance is not to be traveled alone, so we encourage as many of your leaders and staff to attend as is possible.
JUSTICE MINISTRY MATTERS with Meck Groot, Justice Ministries, New England Region UUA
We share the plate. We green our sanctuaries. We serve meals. We transform church buildings into homeless shelters. We demonstrate in the streets. We hold vigils and raise banners. We petition. We vote. We engage in civil disobedience. We take service-learning trips. But what makes any of these actions a ministry? More particularly, what makes them a justice ministry? An assumption framing this workshop is that the more of ourselves we bring to these actions, the more impact they will have - not only on “the issue,” but also on the healing and transformation of our inner lives, our families, our congregations and all of our relationships both within and beyond the congregation. Allowing our social action to become justice ministry takes intention and practice - both of which are often overlooked or side-stepped in our rush to save the world from disaster or to dodge a sense of hopelessness, pain and inadequacy. WHAT we do to address injustice matters. But HOW we address it might matter even more. Let’s explore that.
CREATING AND LEADING DYNAMIC LAY-LED WORSHIP with Rev. Sue Phillips, Regional Lead, New England Region UUA
Come explore the worship theory and theology that lie behind your congregation's Order of Service. This experiential workshop will help move participants toward a holistic understanding of the art and craft of creating and leading worship. We'll explore Unitarian Universalist worship theory and focus on the flow and thematic integration of worship elements. Participants will emerge with more awareness of what makes worship spiritually enlivening and theologically deep, and with the tools to put this awareness into practice.
- Cancellation prior to the registration deadline will be subject to a $25 handling fee.
- Cancellations made after the registration deadline but a week or more before the event will be subject to a $75 fee, unless a replacement is arranged.
- Refunds for cancellations made within the week prior to the event will be given only under emergency circumstances and at the discretion of the regional staff. There is no penalty for finding someone to replace you if you cannot come.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Will child care be available?
A: Yes, free of charge for ages 0-11. Pre-register your child when you register.
Q: Are youth invited to participate in Regional Assembly?
A: Yes! Any age youth may participate. The fee is $25 for youth ages 12-19.
Q: Is financial assistance available?
A: Yes. Please ask your congregational leadership first if funds are available to support members who wish to attend Regional Assembly. If your congregation is unable to provide assistance, contact us for a reduced rate.
Q: Can I come Friday night only?
A: Yes. There is no charge to attend Friday evening only, but you must pre-register.
OTHER QUESTIONS? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 948-6415.