Social Update!! (8/16/2011)
Hello New Graduate Students!
I hope you enjoyed today’s Orientation, and I am looking forward to seeing you at the social tonight. As I mentioned today, Sammy’s Tap and Grill is the home base for tonight’s social, but it obviously cannot hold all 600 of you at 8pm. I therefore have made arrangements with two more restaurants/bars in the Mission Valley Complex where Sammy’s is located. The first is “El Cerro” which is a 30 second walk from Sammy’s, and the second is “Ba Da Wings,” which is a 30 second walk from El Cerro.
So… here is the plan:
(1) Sammy’s has reserved the entire deck area for us! Therefore, if you arrive at Sammy’s between 8pm – 9:30pm the UGSA will be paying for a few rounds of pizza and wings, which will be served buffet style on the deck. You are, however, responsible for your own drinks!
Sammy’s will then remain open until closing time, and you are more than welcome to stay as long as you like.
(2) If Sammy’s gets too crowded (AKA: we legally cannot fit any more people in the bar!) we will encourage people to go to “El Cerro” where they are offering us a 10% discount on all food (so long as you show them your student ID), and FREE chips and salsa! Once again, you are responsible for your own drinks!
NOTE: If you want to head straight to El Cerro instead of Sammy’s (since Sammy’s is probably going to get crowded), please feel free to go directly there, as many other graduate students will likely be there too.
(3) If both Sammy’s and El Cerro get extremely full, then the nearby “Ba Da Wings” restaurant and bar is another “spill over” location. They are actually hosting a Trivia night tonight, which starts at 8:30pm and is generally very popular. They also tend to have great drink specials!
(4) Finally, if all of those locations are crowded, please do not hesitate to make your way to the nearby (walking distance) “Champions Bar” or “Ruckus Pizza & Bar,” as these establishments would surely welcome graduate students!
Thank you again for attending Orientation today, and for being so interested in our first social of the year! We appreciate your enthusiasm and look forward to a great night, and an even better year together! Go Wolfpack!
North Carolina State University
President of the University Graduate Student Association (UGSA) - ugsa.ncsu.edu
Graduate Student Senator on NCSU Student Government (91st Session) - students.ncsu.edu
(PS - Current Graduate Students are encouraged to join us for tonight's activities as well! See you tonight!)
Hello New NCSU Graduate Students!
The evening of New Graduate Student Orientation 2011 (August 16), the University Graduate Student Association (UGSA) of NCSU will host a social for incoming graduate students at “Sammy’s Tap and Grill,” which is a bar and restaurant very close to NCSU’s campus.
The event will feature FREE FOOD (pizza, wings, etc.) for graduate students, faculty, and guests. Plus, attendees will be able to BTOB (Buy Their Own Beer). It will be a great way to unwind from the day’s activities, meet your fellow graduate students, and start networking!
What the UGSA needs to know from you is:
(1) Will you attend this event?
(2) Will you bring any guests (non-graduate students) to the event?
In order to answer these questions, please register for a ticket for yourself and your (non-graduate student) guests. Getting a ticket/s will serve as your RSVP for the event.
We also encourage you to NOT register for tickets for other graduate students, but instead prefer that all NCSU graduate students register/RSVP on this site individually so that we can estimate the number of graduate student attendees more accurately.
In the end, remember that if you are a graduate student at NCSU, then you can use, benefit from, and be a part of the UGSA. Like us on Facebook at “UGSA at NCSU” or check out our website at http://ugsa.ncsu.edu for more information on us. We hope to see you at our first event of the year!
When & Where
UGSA at NCSU
The North Carolina State University Graduate Student Association (UGSA) was formed on October 6, 1958 in order to give graduate students a forum for discussion and action about those events in the college community which affect them. As the years have passed, the UGSA has grown in size and stature, and is currently considered by both administration and graduate students to be an integral part of the NCSU community. Approximately 60% of all graduate majors have an active GSA chapter, meaning that a representative from those majors regularly attends our meetings and participates in our committees. Our mission is to make the academic, professional, and social life of graduate students at NC State more rewarding and enjoyable, and we hope you will support us in our efforts to do so!