Actions and Detail Panel
National meeting Youth Spaces - build your social capital
Wed, 14 Jun 2017, 22:30 – Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 16:30 EEST
Between the 14 and 18 June 2017, the biggest youth event in Bulgaria - the National Youth Meeting, will be held traditionally in Varna - this year's European Youth Capital. Also known as the "National Debate in Varna", it aims to bring together over 150 active young people - representatives of youth organizations as well as experts from different institutions at European, national and regional level working together to develop Challenges to the youth sector in the country.
The National Meeting in Varna marks its eight consecutive year. It is organized by a big consortium of NGO and institutional bodies -The Youth Society for Peace and Development on the Balkans, the Municipality of Varna, Directorate "Youth Activities and Sports", in partnership with the National Youth Forum and the European Youth Capital Association.
After the two last National meeting on the topics of The importance of non-formal learning (2013) and the role of the youth worker as a profession handling these methods (2015), YSPDB have now focused on the places (physical, infrastructural) where the youth worker operates, named “youth spaces”.
Why this topic?
Under youth spaces we recognize spaces, areas, existing infrastructure, youth centers, open green spaces which are meant for the utilization of the free time of youth and providing the environment for personal and organizational development, sharing and exchange of resources. All of them also contribute to the development of youth work and volunteering, as well as to building social capital and long-lasting relationships between young professionals and organizations.
Such spaces are apart from educational institutions, youth homes, community centers, open spaces and youth centers, as well as increasingly popular co-working spaces and alternative youth infrastructure. In front of these youth spaces in Bulgaria today are the following questions:
- What is the definition of youth space / zone?
- How can they best respond to the actual needs and interests of young people?
- In what ways could they develop as more suitable for youth work?
- How can they be managed best?
- How can we, the youth convince local and national institutions to invest in youth spaces and how can they develop a sustainable business and social financial plan.
We discuss and find answers to all those questions during the National Youth Meeting in Varna. The meeting is a civic participation mechanism that gathers and analyzes the opinions of young people, experts and politically responsible people on topics that directly concern young people themselves and their development and awareness as an essential part of society. As a result of the discussion on the theme of youth spaces, we should:
- Developing a political consensus document which is subsequently promoted among European institutions, national ministries, educational system experts, youth workers and representatives of youth homes (former socialist infrastructures for youth), centers and community centers;
- To develop a basic framework for the development of youth spaces in the country. It will complement policies to provide a more accessible and non-fragmented urban environment conducive to strengthen public relations.
- To acknowledge a well-known architectural truth – the meaning of building social responsive architecture. Architecture, buildings, parks witch are met to develop social relations.
The National Meeting will also host the 13th National Exhibition of Youth organizations. The event is open for foreign participation of experts in the field of Youth spaces.
For more information contact:
+359 988 93 05 05
Youth activities coordinator for YSPDB