National Environmental Justice Advisory Council (NEJAC) Public Mtg- DENVER
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM (MST)
Can't travel to Denver for the meeting?
Attend remotely by teleconference.
Register for teleconference access
PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
On-Site Registration will open
February 11 at 8:00 a.m. Mountain Time
NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE ADVISORY COMMITTEE (NEJAC) Public Meeting
Date: February 11 through 12, 2014
Location: EPA Region 8 Conference Center, 1595 Wynkoop Stree, Denver, Colorado
On-site registration: Opens 8:00 a.m.
Agenda: Topics include discussions about the nexus of environmental justice and sustainability, including equitable development and climate resilience. Other topics include an observance of the 20th anniversary of EO 12898 on Environmental Justice. See below for the full meeting agenda.
- February 11: Environmental Justice Fed Fair (see below)
- February 13: Equitable Development Workshop: Smarter Growth through Environmental Justice (see below)
TUESDAY, February 11, 2014
9:00 am to 3:45 pm
- Dialogue with the EPA Regional Administrator (invited)
- Community Voices
- Observance of 20th Anniversary of EO 12898 on Environmental Justice
- Fundamentals of Equitable Development
- NEJAC Work Group Updates
4:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- PUBLIC COMMENT *
- Dinner Break (5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
- PUBLIC COMMENT (continued)
WEDNESDAY, February 12, 2014
9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Leveraging Resources for Community Capacity
- Agency Efforts on Smart Growth, Sustainability and Equitable Development
- Climate Resiliency and Environmental Justice
- Council Business
*Public Comment: The NEJAC will host one public comment period on Tuesday, February: 11 from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and again from 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.:
- All speakers during the public comment period are limited to five minutes.
- To allow as many organizations as possible the opportunity to present their concerns, only one representative per organization should provide comments.
- To provide a public comment, commenters must sign-up (1) in advance when pre-registering to attend the meeting or (2) during the meeting at the Public Comment Sign-up Desk.
- Written comments also are encouraged. Please forward any written comments to: Jasmin Muriel, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW (MC 2201A), Washington, DC 20460; E-mail: Muriel.Jasmin@epa.gov
EPA REGION 8 ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE "FED FAIR"
Date: February 11, 2014 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Fed Fair will give stakeholders and members of the public who are attending the NEJAC meeting an opportunity to connect to resources/services provided by Federal agencies (including EPA) that benefit low-income and minority populations. Environmental education, resources, program materials and expertise from EPA Region 8 and local offices of other Federal agencies such as USDA, HUD, and HHS will be available. Attendees are asked to bring their own tote to carry FREE informational materials.
For additional information about the Fed Fair, please contact April Nowak of the EPA Region 8 EJ Team at 303-312-6528 or email@example.com
EQUITABLE DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP: Smarter Growth through Environmental Justice
Date: February 13, 2014 from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Location: Hyatt Regency Denver Hotel, 650 15th Street in Denver, Colorado
The workshop, organized by the U.S. EPA's Office of Environmental Justice, is on the first day of the New Partners for Smart Growth Conference.
Purpose: To affirm that the methods for encouraging sustainable communities are expansive and include approaches like equitable development. A great line-up of design professionals; planners; community developers; environmental justice experts; and tribal leaders have been invited to share solutions and best practices for making a visible difference in communities.
For more information about the workshop, take a look at the workshop brochure.
Chemical Sensitivity: As you may be aware, some individuals who attend NEJAC meetings suffer from chemical sensitivity due to multiple exposures in their communities. As a result, they may have adverse health reactions to products commonly used everyday, such as scented air fresheners, scented toiletry items, perfumes, colognes, etc. In addition, other individuals may suffer from asthma triggered by exposure to these same products. Please be sensitive to the needs of these NEJAC meeting participants by refraining from using perfumed or scented items at the meeting. We ask that you also share this request with others in your office who may be planning to attend. Thank you for your careful consideration and attention to this matter.